Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by John McNally <jm...@collab.net> on 2002/01/17 04:27:42 UTC

Re: Are navigation classes in for the same fate as screen classesin Turbine-3

It is a great way to structure many applications.  It does not work so
well in a portal environment, though.

john mcnally

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:

> On 1/17/02 10:16 AM, "Chris Shenton" <Ch...@hq.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> John McNally <jm...@collab.net> writes:
>>
>>> It is a great way to structure many applications.  It does not work so
>>> well in a portal environment, though.
>>
>> Can you explain more? We're working on a proxy-like application which
>> is close enough in behavior to a portal that I'm concerned about
>> future directions.

>> Can you explain what is meant by "valves"? I've seen them referenced
>> in the code, but nothing in the various HowTo's.
>
> That's because turbine3 is a work in progress and hasn't been released.

You may be able to find a description of the concept Pipeline/Valve
concept in Catalina's documentation:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/index.html

Re: Are navigation classes in for the same fate as screen classesin Turbine-3

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 1/17/02 10:16 AM, "Chris Shenton" <Ch...@hq.nasa.gov> wrote:

> John McNally <jm...@collab.net> writes:
>
>> It is a great way to structure many applications.  It does not work so
>> well in a portal environment, though.
>
> Can you explain more? We're working on a proxy-like application which
> is close enough in behavior to a portal that I'm concerned about
> future directions.
>

>>> Turbine 3 at the core will have no knowledge of a screen,
>>> navigation or layout but the model (the classic model) will still
>>> be a valid usage pattern. Scarab is currently using Turbine 3
>>> along with screens, navigations and layouts. How you structure
>>> your view will be determined by the collection of valves
>>> used.
>
> Can you explain what is meant by "valves"? I've seen them referenced
> in the code, but nothing in the various HowTo's.

That's because turbine3 is a work in progress and hasn't been released.

> Thanks.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Are navigation classes in for the same fate as screen classesin Turbine-3

Posted by Chris Shenton <Ch...@hq.nasa.gov>.