Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/07/15 16:35:35 UTC

Build directions (was Re: Conflicts in sourceresolve)

Leif Mortenson wrote:

> Rather than assume that the build was broken, I attempted to ask for any
> ideas as to what is >>I<< was doing wrong.  Of the above messages, only
> one is a nice ant like descriptive message.   Ant that only tells me
> that it can
> not find the .\project-common.xml file.  This file does not exist in the
> framework directory which lead me to believe that I should not be running
> maven from that directory.

Hmmm... I type

$maven test

or

$maven jar

and it builds ok for me.

> You are obviously not getting these problems, so for starters, what is the
> exact build target that you are running to get fortress and framework to
> build?

"test" or "jar"

The reactor is only for projects that have a set of "subprojects

> As a note, the README.TXT file in the avalon root includes the following:
> ---
> The avalon buildfiles use a common buildsystem which utilizes maven and
> forrest. You will need to download and install maven, the
> maven-forrest-plugin, and the avalon-buildsystem module. After doing so,
> change into the buildsystem directory and type `maven avalon:info` to
> get yourself started.
> ---

The "avalon-buildsystem" "module" is the buildsystem directory structure
in the main ${avalon} repository.

> As I said earlier, I was not able to locate the avalon-buildsystem
> module so
> have not installed that.  Is that maybe my problem?   Running
> "maven avalon:info"  simply tells me about the "maven avalon:jars" target.
> Running that in the buildsystem directory produces the error that I
> originally
> posted about.

We need to change the default target.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Build directions (was Re: Conflicts in sourceresolve)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Ok, I finally got framework and fortress to build again.  The problem is
that
Version 1.0b9 of Maven does not work.  After upgrading to 1.0b10 things
started working.  Wish I had tried that earlier. :-/

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Build directions (was Re: Conflicts in sourceresolve)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Thank you.  I had not seen the "jar" and "test" goals.

However, I tried "maven jar" in the framework directory and get the
following:
---
avalon:version-override:
    [echo]
            overriding version; setting to: 4.1.5-RC2

avalon:init:

avalon:compile-api:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
C:\Jakarta\avalon\framework\target\api

avalon:compile-impl:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
C:\Jakarta\avalon\framework\target\impl

avalon:custom-compile:
    [copy] Copying 1 file to C:\Jakarta\avalon\framework\target\classes
    [copy] Copying 1 file to C:\Jakarta\avalon\framework\target\classes
INTERNAL ERROR
Reference made to goal 'java:compile' which has no definition.
---

Running "maven jar" in the avalon/fortress/tools directory produces:
---
avalon:version-override:
    [echo]
            overriding version; setting to: 1.1-dev

INTERNAL ERROR
Reference made to goal 'java:compile' which has no definition.
---

I am using Maven 1.0b9  Is that what you are using or is there a need to
upgrade to 1.0b10?

Sorry for all the questions.
Leif