Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Peter Shipley <ps...@nomensa.com> on 2004/09/07 23:59:36 UTC

Lenya Benchmarks

I have been looking through the archives to see if I can find some
benchmarks other people have done to test the speed of Lenya under load.

I came across this,
http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgId=1357622
which attests to:

100000 requests
10 at a time
on a 1GHz proc and 1GB of RAM
achieving just under 10 requests a second

Any more for any more? Has anyone got any figures to share?

Regards

Peter

Re: Lenya Benchmarks

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>Two questions. Is there any description how to setup mod_cache with lenya
>or is it straightforward using the apache documentation.

I had some difficulties at first, but maybe you just want to wait until
next week, when we hopefully publish the documentation on mod_lenya
and mod_lenya itself

>On the apache website the module is described as experimental. Did you
>think we can use it in a live environment.

yes, I think so. We are using mod_lenya in production and it works very
well so far.

HTH

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Lenya Benchmarks

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Peter Shipley wrote:
>
> > I have been looking through the archives to see if I can find some
> > benchmarks other people have done to test the speed of Lenya under load.
> >
> > I came across this,
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgId=1357622
> >
> > which attests to:
> >
> > 100000 requests
> > 10 at a time
> > on a 1GHz proc and 1GB of RAM
> > achieving just under 10 requests a second
> >

> > Any more for any more? Has anyone got any figures to share?
>

> well, these figures are rather old ;-)
>
> Concerning performance I will do a presentation at ApacheCon on
> how one can combine Lenya/Cocoon and "mod_cache" in order to really
> speed it up (WE19).

Two questions. Is there any description how to setup mod_cache with lenya
or is it straightforward using the apache documentation.
On the apache website the module is described as experimental. Did you
think we can use it in a live environment.

> Gregor Imboden and I developed an Apache Module
> (mod_lenya ;-) which we use in combination with mod_proxy and
> Lenya/Cocoon, whereas Lenya acts as dependency manager and the caching
> is implemented into a Cocoon pipeline.
> (The Wyona website is currently powered this way)

very nice :-)

Jann

Re: Lenya Benchmarks

Posted by Peter Shipley <ps...@nomensa.com>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Concerning performance I will do a presentation at ApacheCon on
> how one can combine Lenya/Cocoon and "mod_cache" in order to really
> speed it up (WE19). Gregor Imboden and I developed an Apache Module
> (mod_lenya ;-) which we use in combination with mod_proxy and
> Lenya/Cocoon, whereas Lenya acts as dependency manager and the caching
> is implemented into a Cocoon pipeline.
> (The Wyona website is currently powered this way)
>
> We are currently working on the documentation and fixing the logging of
> the module. As soon as this will be finished (hopefully next week) we
> will release it under the Apache license. If the community will agree,
> then we can certainly put it into the Apache repository.
>
> The next step would then be to generalize the communication re caching
> between webserver (e.g. Apache httpd) and Application server (e.g. Tomcat).
>
> I think the most straightforward way would be to enhance the
> servlet API (e.g. request.addToCache(), request.deletefromCache(), ...)
> and the servlet container could then have a connector configured which
> would be talking through a protocol for instance to "mod_cache" resp.
> a module used by mod_cache.
>
> Michi

This sounds excellent. I wait anxiously...

Re: Lenya Benchmarks

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Peter Shipley wrote:

> I have been looking through the archives to see if I can find some
> benchmarks other people have done to test the speed of Lenya under load.
>
> I came across this,
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgId=1357622
>
> which attests to:
>
> 100000 requests
> 10 at a time
> on a 1GHz proc and 1GB of RAM
> achieving just under 10 requests a second
>

> Any more for any more? Has anyone got any figures to share?

well, these figures are rather old ;-)

Concerning performance I will do a presentation at ApacheCon on
how one can combine Lenya/Cocoon and "mod_cache" in order to really
speed it up (WE19). Gregor Imboden and I developed an Apache Module
(mod_lenya ;-) which we use in combination with mod_proxy and
Lenya/Cocoon, whereas Lenya acts as dependency manager and the caching
is implemented into a Cocoon pipeline.
(The Wyona website is currently powered this way)

We are currently working on the documentation and fixing the logging of
the module. As soon as this will be finished (hopefully next week) we
will release it under the Apache license. If the community will agree,
then we can certainly put it into the Apache repository.

The next step would then be to generalize the communication re caching
between webserver (e.g. Apache httpd) and Application server (e.g. Tomcat).

I think the most straightforward way would be to enhance the
servlet API (e.g. request.addToCache(), request.deletefromCache(), ...)
and the servlet container could then have a connector configured which
would be talking through a protocol for instance to "mod_cache" resp.
a module used by mod_cache.

Michi

> Regards
>
> Peter