Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil <pl...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/02 14:30:02 UTC

RPM vs from source... Is there a recommended method?

I am deploying a 100+ user subversion server...

Is it recommended to use from source or RPM on Fedora Core 5?

I have installed from source before and have not had an issue... RPM is just
easier but I am not sure about the impact?

RE: RPM vs from source... Is there a recommended method?

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.
I can't speak to installing Subversion specifically from a package, but
here's how I think about the issue in general:

I prefer packages:

-- when I can get matching documentation about any idiosyncrasies in the
package
-- when I don't care whether the package designer put files in unique,
nonstandard places in the filesystem or left some features out
-- when I'm expecting to need frequent updates and don't want to bother with
rebuilding
-- when I don't need a well-optimized build and a more-generic build is OK

I build from source:

-- if I can't find a suitable package
-- if I want specific control over build options, perhaps for
very-high-performance hardware

Hope this helps.   Erik

Re: RPM vs from source... Is there a recommended method?

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Frank.
I just was not sure if there was a stability issue with RPM vs source. And I
think I understand what you mean. Thanks.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
  I am deploying a 100+ user subversion server...

  Is it recommended to use from source or RPM on Fedora Core 5?

  I have installed from source before and have not had an issue... RPM is just easier but I am not sure about the impact?

Fedora Core 5 Extras is up to subversion-1.3.2, which is plenty recent. Use that.