Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by David Tanzer <st...@guglhupf.net> on 2005/10/15 22:29:54 UTC

This week on harmony-dev (Oct. 9 - Oct. 15 2005)

Sorry, no links to the mail archive today because the new version of
the archive doesn't work for me (Mozilla Firefox / Fedora Core 4).

This week almost all discussions on this mailing list where in the
thread "[legal] Bulk contribution barrier to entry" which was started
by Geir Magnusson Jr. The problem he mentiones there is "that for a
bulk contribution - something created elsewhere and being contributed
to harmony - we require that all authors of that work are Authorized
Contributors, meaning that they hadn't been exposed to implementations
of Java that weren't either available under an open source license, or
were owned by an entity willing to give the author permission to work
on other implementations elsewhere". He means that this standard might
be too high, because there might be contributions where it might be hard
or even impossible to track down all the authors.

He asked for suggestions for a process which is flexible enough to
allow all kinds of contributions, but which is OTOH strong enough to not
put our project at unnessessary risks. This was followed by a long
discussion about which specific permissions we need from whom and which
risks the harmony project could be exposed to. I think I won't go
further into details for this thread. There was no solution found yet.
The people involved in this discussion are: Danese Cooper, Dermot
Dunnion, Leo Simons, Dalibor Topic, Archie Cobbs and Richard Nienaber.

Geir Magnusson Jr. made some changes to BootJVM to get in working
under windows. He also got it working in OS X. Enrico Migliore posted
some benchmark results he tested out in an email called "optimization
for speed in win32".
Robin Garner announced a new version of the DaCapo benchmarks which
are "a set of real-world open-source Java benchmarks that have a
non-trivial memory load" and now come under the Apache License. Mark
Wielaard announced a new version (0.7.6) of gjdoc, which is the source
documentation framework for GNU Classpath.

Regards, David.

-- Read the archive of this series at http://deltalabs.at/
-- RSS feed: http://deltalabs.at/?q=taxonomy/term/8/0/feed
-- Also aggregated at: http://planet.classpath.org/

--
David Tanzer, Haghofstr. 29, A-3352 St. Peter/Au, Austria/Europe
http://deltalabs.at -- http://dev.guglhupf.net -- http://guglhupf.net