Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com> on 2001/08/14 11:17:27 UTC

XMLRenderer

I have a bit of a problem with a change to the XMLRenderer.
On line 203 it has:
  + area.getGeneratedBy() + "\"");

This means that every new run of fop with this renderer will produce a
different result (as it puts in the object name which has memory address
values). Thereby ruining diffs.

can it be changed to do this instead?:
  + area.getGeneratedBy().getClass() + "\"");

what is the purpose of this bit of code?

Re: XMLRenderer

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>.

Keiron Liddle wrote:
> The only xml diff utility I know of is the IBM one, which we can't use (not
> allowed to distribute).

There's a free one (with source code), albeit it's not as good as IBM's.
The diff generated is sometimes far less than optimum but it claims to
be correct. It used to be available at

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/c.nentwich/treediff/

but I tried to access it a while ago and the site doesn't respond. If
you can't get it, let me know and I send you a copy, I think I still
have it. It may work for our purposes.

Carlos

Re: XMLRenderer

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Hi Arved,

I knew there had to be some reason for it.
Looks like a YAS is the way to go.

Re: XMLRenderer

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 11:17 AM 8/14/01 +0200, Keiron Liddle wrote:
>I have a bit of a problem with a change to the XMLRenderer.
>On line 203 it has:
>  + area.getGeneratedBy() + "\"");
>
>This means that every new run of fop with this renderer will produce a
>different result (as it puts in the object name which has memory address
>values). Thereby ruining diffs.
>
>can it be changed to do this instead?:
>  + area.getGeneratedBy().getClass() + "\"");
>
>what is the purpose of this bit of code?

Hi, Keiron

I had it in mind to achieve exactly this effect; it is tied to my fo:marker
debugging, where I wanted to know exactly which object, not just the type.

I agree, this is restrictive for many purposes. Can I suggest YAS (Yet
Another Switch) that can be passed on the command line when running the
XMLRenderer. This option will alternate between the current functionality
and the one you suggest (and yours would be the default). I think that for a
number of reasons it is useful to keep the "debugging" capability available.

In any case, it would be nice to have a configurable xml diff utility that
can be set up to ignore certain attributes.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)