Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/04/14 23:57:19 UTC

maven-plugins and maven versions

Hi,

Following the idea of moving the maven plugins in maven-plugins, I
believe a new issue will arise: the compatibility between the plugin and
the maven core.

One solution (is there any other?) would be to add a <compatibility> tag
in the plugin project POMs.

Comments?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: maven-plugins and maven versions

Posted by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au>.
I don't know a lot about the internals, especially the plugin cache. Are
the plugins or the POM loaded first? If it is the plugins, that
obviously makes this difficult, but I thought the POM came first, which
means you can preregister dependant plugins.

It also depends on what happens with the "core" plugins. Which plugins
are registered by default? If we continue with the $MAVEN_HOME/plugins
directory, then these can all be used, unless a different versioned
plugin (same artifactID, different version) has already been loaded.

But I don't see any reason why the plugins can't be part of the local
repository (they already are copied there under /maven/), and loaded
from there. I'm not sure what the best way is to then define default
plugins and how to turn those off on a project to project basis however
- but that ability only exists now through "delete" anyway.
Maybe the core maven template just specifies these plugins as
dependencies, and you use Jelly in maven.xml to deregister them as a
preGoal to some plugin-loading-completed goal?

How is that sounding?

Cheers,
Brett

michal.maczka wrote:

> [...]

Web Developer
f2 network ~ everything essential

RE: maven-plugins and maven versions

Posted by "michal.maczka" <mi...@cqs.ch>.

Posted by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au>.
I agree - I would have raised the point of plugin versioning except that
I had already seen it go by. I think depending on and downloading a
plugin should be handled like any other artifact.

I know I maintain my own build plugin with custom goals, and would like
some to stay on a previous version when I make some changes (even if
just for a testing phase without having a separate maven install).

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by "michal.maczka" <mi...@cqs.ch>.

Posted by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au>.