Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rodolphe VAGNER <ro...@eurodoc-sofilog.com> on 2002/03/29 12:13:38 UTC

revision bars

Hy,
I have to display revision bars on a document.
I can't change the DTD ( SGML one, I transform sgml instances in xml
before my fop treatment ) that specifies that the revisions bars
must appear in front of the text which is between the tags
<startOfRevision/> and <endOfRevision/> ; note that these tags
are empty, and are included elements, in SGML sense !

Do you think I can display those bars

- with XSL  (if possible, and I think it's not )
- by inserting invisible marks in the PDF and have a post treatment on the PDK
with the Adobe SDK. So, what kind of mark can I use ??

Thanks for helping

Re: revision bars

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Rodolphe VAGNER wrote:
> I have to display revision bars on a document.
> Do you think I can display those bars
> - with XSL  (if possible, and I think it's not )

It is possible in certain situations. If it is possible
to mark all block level elements, gather them into
a fo:block and set border-start-style="solid" or something.
If the marks have to match the lines exactly, or if you
have to generate a book where the marks have to be on
the outer side of the page, well, then it's impossible
with standard elements. You can try to implement extension
elements in FOP for starting/ending revision bars.

> - by inserting invisible marks in the PDF and have a post treatment on
> the PDK
> with the Adobe SDK. So, what kind of mark can I use ??
No idea.

J.Pietschmann

Re: external-graphic : protocol error

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
RAYMOND Romain wrote:
> I cannot access images while building my PDF throught FOP, return error
> is
> " no protocol ". Althought I used (as in the examples) a file:path ...
>
> What is the synthax ?

The URL syntax for files on the local machine is
  file:///some/path/to/file.ext
Note the triple slash. FOP also accepts
  /some/path/to/file.ext
Windows drive specifications and pathnames with backslashes
could cause some problems.
A relative path
   file.ext
   path/to/file.ext
will be resolved to the configures base directory. This defaults
to the current working directory of the process which runs FOP.
You can configure it by setting from Java code, see
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=101354604124258&w=2
Bad values for the base directory can also cause the problem
you have.

J.Pietschmann

external-graphic : protocol error

Posted by RAYMOND Romain <ro...@c-s.fr>.
Hello,

I cannot access images while building my PDF throught FOP, return error
is
" no protocol ". Althought I used (as in the examples) a file:path ...

What is the synthax ? The FopServlet example use an absolute path to get
the fo file, but I generate the fo in memory ... my output PDF is good
except
the images problem and the no protocol error.
Some help ?

Thanks.

Re: [FOP-USER] revision bars

Posted by Trevor Jenkins <tr...@suneidesis.com>.
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Rodolphe VAGNER <ro...@eurodoc-sofilog.com>...:

> I have to display revision bars on a document.

I have a similar requirement. Was going to post this self-same question
today!

> I can't change the DTD ( SGML one, I transform sgml instances in xml
> before my fop treatment )

Exactly my situation. If XML had retained marked sections then I could do
away with the SGML master copy altogether. (I always said that the
non-inclusion of marked sections in the XML spec was stupid. But I also
said that the original goal of XML being implemented in 2 weeks by a
computing science student was impossible.)

> ... that specifies that the revisions bars
> must appear in front of the text which is between the tags
> <startOfRevision/> and <endOfRevision/> ; note that these tags
> are empty, and are included elements, in SGML sense !

I'm using the DocBook DTD and am contractualy limited to what additions I
can make to the DTD itself. Adding general entities is about the limit.

> Do you think I can display those bars
>
> - with XSL  (if possible, and I think it's not )
> - by inserting invisible marks in the PDF and have a post treatment on the PDK
> with the Adobe SDK. So, what kind of mark can I use ??

I don't have the option of using Adobe products. So I'm after a pure
SGML/DSSSL/XML/XSL solution.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!