Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/04 09:21:51 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Isis release 0.1.2-incubating (RC5)

I've staged a release for Apache Isis, namely 0.1.2-incubating (RC5).

Changes since the last RC include:
* ZIP to vote upon is that staged rather than uploaded to a home
directory (see below) ... there was ambiguity last time which
invalidated the result
* the version does not include an "RCx" component.  Instead we are using
different staging repositories to distinguish between RCs (and will
simply promote the one that gets voted through)
* the source directory has been rearranged so that any modules that are
not part of the release (examples and domain-libs) are no longer part of
the release (are not in the source zip).

There have also been some functional changes:
* the restful viewer has been renamed to xhtml viewer
* there is a new json viewer which partly implements the draft restful
json protocol [1]
* updates to junit viewer documentation

The artifacts have been staged to staging repository on
repository.apache.org:
*
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheisis-012/org/apache/isis/isis/0.1.2-incubating/isis-0.1.2-incubating-source-release.zip
(zip file)
*
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheisis-012/org/apache/isis/isis/0.1.2-incubating/isis-0.1.2-incubating-source-release.zip.asc
(signature)

In Subversion the code has been tagged to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/isis/tags/isis-0.1.2-incubating.

I've also uploaded a new version of the site at
http://incubator.apache.org/isis-0.1.2-incubating.  The contributors
guide on the site contains some suggestions of how to verify the
release, see
http://incubator.apache.org/isis-0.1.2-incubating/docbkx/html/guide/ch12.html

Please verify the release and cast your vote.  The vote will be open for
at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ]  0
[ ] -1

Thanks
Dan

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/Restful+Json+Protocol

Re: [VOTE] Apache Isis release 0.1.2-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
I agree, it could be considered as a documentation bug, which can be
filed and fixed later, taking into consideration Benson's suggestions,
but I believe it is not a release blocker. Good catch Kevin ;).

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [VOTE] Apache Isis release 0.1.2-incubating (RC5)

Posted by dan haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sorry for not sending it yesterday as I promised cause the full site
build took a while and I had to sleep :D. Details of what I've done to
verify the build:

1- Checked keys/signs and digests.
2- RAT
3- Build and site/documentation build
4- Tests/Smoke tests
5- Archetype tests and playing with the generated projects

As far as I am concerned all was OK, hence my vote.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
On 08/07/2011 10:03, Kevin Meyer - KMZ wrote:
> Dan,
>
> I've just tried to use the RC5 sources to create an example via
> archetype, and it failed - it was trying to use 0.1.2-incubating-
> SNAPSHOT (I always remove any prior trace of isis, and run maven "-
> o" offline).
>
> Delving into the RC5 sources, I found that:
> isis-0.1.2-incubating/src/site/resources/archetype-catalog.xml
> references "0.1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT"
>
> Shouldn't this reference 0.1.2-incubating?
That particular file is a static file that's used in the current
website, but will be obsolete once this release is out.  So this is a
documentation bug only... thanks for finding it.  I've gone ahead and
deleted it from trunk for the future.

> If I manually edit and change the version (and follow up with an "mvn
> archetype:crawl"), then I can create from archetype and run them all
> successfully - dnd, json, xhtml and html via the quickrun module,
> wicket and scimpi via importing the project into Eclpse (Helios) with no
> problems.

The version of the archetype is found from the
~/.m2/archetype-catalog.xml. So when you say you obliterate earlier
versions of Isis, do you also remove/edit this file?  As you probably
know, mvn archetype:crawl updates this local copy of
archetype-catalog.xml, so that may be things work once you've run that
command?

> If the above version issue is considered non-blocking, let me know, so
> I can reveal my vote.
I'd consider it non-blocking.

Cheers
Dan

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Dan,

On 4 Jul 2011 at 8:46, Dan Haywood wrote:

> A further change (I forgot to mention) is that the app generated by the
> quickstart archetype is now setup to use Eclipse 3.7 (with its built-in
> Maven support).  Specifically, the .launch run configuration files have
> dependencies on org.eclipse.m2e classpath provider (previously this was
> m2eclipse's org.maven.ide classpath provider).
>
> Dan
>

> On 04/07/2011 08:21, Dan Haywood wrote:
> > I've staged a release for Apache Isis, namely 0.1.2-incubating (RC5).
> >
> > Changes since the last RC include:
> > * ZIP to vote upon is that staged rather than uploaded to a home
> > directory (see below) ... there was ambiguity last time which
> > invalidated the result
> > * the version does not include an "RCx" component.  Instead we are
> > using different staging repositories to distinguish between RCs (and
> > will simply promote the one that gets voted through)
> > * the source directory has been rearranged so that any modules that
> > are not part of the release (examples and domain-libs) are no longer
> > part of the release (are not in the source zip).
> >
> > There have also been some functional changes:
> > * the restful viewer has been renamed to xhtml viewer
> > * there is a new json viewer which partly implements the draft restful
> > json protocol [1]
> > * updates to junit viewer documentation
> >
> > The artifacts have been staged to staging repository on
> > repository.apache.org:
> > *
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheisis-012/org/apache/isis/isis/0.1.2-incubating/isis-0.1.2-incubating-source-release.zip
> > (zip file)
> > *
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheisis-012/org/apache/isis/isis/0.1.2-incubating/isis-0.1.2-incubating-source-release.zip.asc
> > (signature)
> >
> > In Subversion the code has been tagged to
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/isis/tags/isis-0.1.2-incubating.
> >
> > I've also uploaded a new version of the site at
> > http://incubator.apache.org/isis-0.1.2-incubating.  The contributors
> > guide on the site contains some suggestions of how to verify the
> > release, see
> > http://incubator.apache.org/isis-0.1.2-incubating/docbkx/html/guide/ch12.html
> >

> > Please verify the release and cast your vote.  The vote will be open
> > for at least 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1
> > [ ]  0
> > [ ] -1
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan
> >
> > [1]
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/Restful+Json+Protocol

--
Kevin Meyer, PhD, Pr.Sci.Nat
KMZ		P.O. Box 9822, Sharon Park, South Africa.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Isis release 0.1.2-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi folks,

looks good to me

[X] +1
[ ] 0
[ ] -1

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

integration-tests in the msdf.sh build

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
Just starting a new thread for the issue that Rob reported (and Kevin
has been commenting on) about the running of the SQL Object store
integration tests [oai.runtimes.dflt.objectsstores.sql:tests-served] in
the msdf.sh script.

As the contributors guide explains (but I may not have fully explained
on this thread), we used to build the site using:

mvn site-deploy -D deploy=local -D site=full

The -D flags activate a couple of profiles; in particular the site=full
activates a profile that includes the "full" set of plugins.

However, when I checked this before creating the RC, I found that this
was causing a problem ... javadoc (part of the -D site=full profile) was
blowing up when I tried to build the entire site from the parent
module.  I can't recall the exact problem but googling around did show
others hitting the same issue in the current latest version of the
maven-javadoc-plugin.

As a workaround, I tried running -D site=full for an individual module,
and found that that worked ok.

So, I hit on the solution we currently have... move the javadoc plugin
to a new profile (activated -D patch=leaf), and then write a script
msdf.sh (stands for "mvn site deploy full") which runs a cut down
version of the full build for the parent module and then "patches" the
generated site by running an additional mvn site-deploy command for each
of the submodules.

If you look at the msdf.sh site, you'll see that it uses the 'modules'
file to enumerate the (directories of the) submodules to run this
patching command.  The problem, then, is that this modules command
incorrectly includes the 'tests-served' module.  What I don't understand
is that it seems to work for me even though I don't (believe I) have the
prerequisite MySQL server installed.  For Rob the mvn command for this
module is hanging, presumably because there is no MySQL server installed.

The workaround is to remove the 'tests-served' line from the 'modules' file.

~~~
What Kevin has been talking about is a profile "integration-tests" that
is used to activate the 'tests-served' module during the regular "mvn
clean install" build.  We don't use this during our CI build, and if you
want to use it when building locally, you'll need to install MySQL etc
first.

Hope this makes things clearer...

Cheers
Dan

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I noticed that :), but do we have to mention that we use it under
that license ? or being dual licensed is enough ?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
I am sorry :(

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
The plot thickens.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hmm.. I have just confirmed that if I run:

mvn clean site-deploy -D modules=site -D deploy=local -D patch=leaf

in "runtimes/dflt/objectstores/sql", then only "Common":

Default Runtime SQL ObjectStore Integration Tests - Common

and not "Served" is included.

Still doesn't help Rob...

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.
It is running  tests-served.

I can't see how it might be picking up an extra property.

I'm using the script to run using

$ bash ./msdf.sh

I'm also using 2.2.1:-

$ mvn -version
/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_26/bin/..
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (rNON-CANONICAL_2011-02-08_16-41_mockbuild;
2011-02-08 16:41:04+0000)
Java version: 1.6.0_26
Java home: /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_26/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux" version: "2.6.38.8-32.fc15.x86_64" arch: "amd64"
Family: "unix"

Rob

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.
It is using the script.  I'll try it with debug on in a minute.

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
And my own +1 to round things off.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Matthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org>.
+1 from me too.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi folks!

The release looks good! The only question left regarding a dependency license was about:

Unnamed - net.jcip:jcip-annotations:jar:1.0 (http://jcip.net/jcip-annotations) net.jcip:jcip-annotations:jar:1.0:compile
    License: Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License

This comes as transitive dependency of rest-easy (which itself is ALv2). I found a thread on our legal list [1] and it sounds like this is fine.

Apart from that:

* sha1, md5 are fine
* all NOTICE and LICENSE files available in source and binary artifacts
* source builds fine
* all license headers ok in the necessary files
* signature ok
* rat runs fine

So a heartly

+1 from me.