Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dhaval Sheth <do...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/28 00:43:30 UTC

wild cards in web.xml

Hi

For each and every servlet in our web application, we are adding entries to
web.xml.
I was wondering if its possible to either use wildcards or any other
keywords or tag so
that we do not have to update web.xml everytime we add a new servlet.

For ex - to access login servlet we give the URI as
https://domainname/webapp/servlet/login

and login servlet is mapped to its complete package in the web.xml file
as shown.
<servlet>
    <servlet-name>
        login
    </servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>
      com.companyname.security.login
    </servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>
      login
    </servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>
      com/companyname/security/login
    </url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

So is it possible to use like a * (or a keyword if its there) so that
web.xml looks
<servlet>
    <servlet-name>
        *
    </servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>
      com.companyname.security
    </servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>
      *
    </servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>
      com/companyname/security
    </url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

So for any servlet like login, logout .... it should get mapped to
com.companyname.security....

Thanks

Dhaval Sheth