Posted to user@hive.apache.org by wd <wd...@wdicc.com> on 2011/01/06 10:29:38 UTC

Can't drop table

hi,

I've setup a single node hadoop and hive. And can create table in hive, but
can't drop table, hive cli will hang there, nothing more infos.

hive-0.6.0-bin
hadoop-0.20.2
jre1.6.0_23
postgresql-9.0-801.jdbc4.jar (have tried postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar)
pgsql 9.0.2

How to find what's wrong happed? thx.

RE: Can't drop table

Posted by Tali K <nc...@hotmail.com>.
We have a similar problem with not being able to drop tables, using Hive 0.6 and Hadoop 20.0 along with Postgres.  Can you share with us the schema you created?  We are wondering if the schema that was automatically created in our case is somehow incomplete.

Thanks,
Tali

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:46:44 +0900
Subject: Re: Can't drop table
From: warwithin@gmail.com
To: user@hive.apache.org
CC: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org

Hi All,

I'm using PostgreSQL for Hive metastore in production. As far as I know MySQL has limitations on constraints in unicode environments. I remember Hive could not create metastore schema automatically with MySQL, Innodb and UTF-8 encoding environment. so I switched PostgreSQL for metastore.

Actually, it works with PostgreSQL. but first time when one run hive cli with PostgreSQL, there are problems on creating metastore schema because JDO does not work well with PostgreSQL. I created the metastore schema manually. after that, everything works fine.

Regards,

- Youngwoo

2011/1/17 Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>

You are the first person I have heard of using postgres. I commend you
for not succumbing to the social pressure and just installing mysql.
However I would advice succumbing to the social pressure and using
either derby or mysql.

The reason I say this is because jpox "has support" for a number of
data stores (M$ SQL server) however, people have run into issues with
them. Databases other then derby and mysql 'should work' but are
generally untested.

Edward

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by 김영우 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Jamie Cockrill <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

We use postgres as a metastore for Hive and haven't come across any
problems. The postgres driver jar is: postgresql-8.4.701-jdbc.jar. We use
the version of hive that comes out of Cloudera's CDH3b2, which I believe is
some variant of Hive 0.5.0.

Java: HotSpot 1.6.0_20
OS: Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)
Postgres: 8.4.4
Postgres JDBC driver: postgresql-8.4.701-jdbc.jar
Hadoop: 0.20.2+320 (Cloudera CDH3b2)
Hive: 0.5.0+20 (Cloudera CDH3b2)

Thanks,

Jamie

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by wd <wd...@wdicc.com>.

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by wd <wd...@wdicc.com>.
Seems I found the reason.

I'm try to upgrade my hive-0.5.0 to hive-0.7 today, and executed the sql in
upgrade directory, migrate conf to new hive. Then found that can't drop
table again.

When drop a table, I found there is a connection from hive try to do
something on "IDXS" table in  postgress, and hung at this sql.

 16385 | hive_metadb |    8259 |    16386 | hive    | ALTER TABLE "IDXS" ADD
CONSTRAINT "IDXS_FK1" FOREIGN KEY ("SD_ID") REFERENCES "SDS" (
"SD_ID") INITIALLY DEFERRED  | t       | 2011-04-28 13:54:16.384769+08 |
2011-04-28 13:54:16.404204+08 | 2011-04-28 13:54:01.784839+08 | 12
7.0.0.1   |       37438

But there is no table named "IDXS" exists. So I think this problem is cased
by these missing tables. Then I migrate a upgrade sql file from mysql, and
upgrade my postgress, the problem solved.

The attachment is the upgrade SQLs to run.

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by wd <wd...@wdicc.com>.
Oh, WTF
It worked now, But I've done nothing!