Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2012/06/19 23:02:38 UTC

libvirt/KVM

Hi

Has anyone tried Libvirt in 2.3 RC3?

I've updated VCL 2.2.1 to VCL 2.3 and cannot get Libvirt working.
I've made some adjustments and able to successfully capture an image, but cannot make reservation based on the image.

I'm using CentOS 6.2 with KVM as VM host (yum groupinstall  Virtualization 'Virtualization Client' 'Virtualization Platform' 'Virtualization Tools').

If Libvirt is working for you, could you please share your configuration (ie. VM host version and packages, VCL computer configuration, etc) ?

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175
Fax: (703) 993-3404

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
I don't have a libvirtlinux OS entry.  I use vmwarelinux for KVM-based
Linux images.  This is what should be set when you capture a base
image using vcld --setup.  There is no difference among OS modules
which point to the same Perl package path.  The OS table is actually
somewhat of a mess right now.  Eventually it will be
collapsed/normalized down so the is a single entry for all Linux
images, otherwise we will end up with n-squared entries (OS's and
provisioning types).  Issue VCL-566 addresses this.

-Andy

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy

I've tested initial image capture (vcld --setup) and made few changes.
With the changes everything works well. I can capture image, make reservation and update image.
There are still few warning in vcld.log during vcld --setup, but looks like those could be ignored.

I've attached PDF file with changes.
I'm not sure if these are really necessary, but I couldn't get it work without.
Please let me know if it makes sense...

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Andy

Re: libvirt/KVM

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
There were some definite bugs which I hopefully corrected with the
commit from this morning.  Be sure to use the latest code from trunk.
Also, you'll need to run install_perl_libs.pl again.