Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ben Dotte <bd...@widen.com> on 2006/05/03 18:18:36 UTC

Tapernate Questions

I was just taking a look at Tapernate for the first time and I was
hoping James or someone familiar with it could verify my understanding
of how it works and clear up a few things:

- Persistent properties are squeezed/unsqueezed based on their Hibernate
session identity.

- The @Persist("entity") persistence strategy differs from regular
session persistence in that it merges persistent objects into the
Hibernate session in getStoredChanges(). From the docs,
getStoredChanges() usually happens when you want to roll back a page to
a previous state. If that is the case, how does Tapestry know you want
to roll a page back to a previous state (is it when the validation
delegate fails or something)? Or am I misunderstanding what the "entity"
strategy is intended to do?

- In the Tapernate demo, object properties are modified directly and if
there is a problem of some sort, the transaction is rolled back. This
way all changes made by the user are committed or rolled back. This
seems related to the "entity" strategy in that I would not want
partially successful submissions persisted to the database, but I also
don't want to lose any user input (and the validation delegate only
stores input from those fields with invalid input). So then are the
successful changes in a partially successful submission stored in the
object in the Hibernate session?

Thanks in advance for any info, this looks like a great library.

Ben