Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/12 18:42:32 UTC

ItemSimilarityDriver failing to write text file

I've been experimenting with the fairly new ItemSimilarityDriver, which is
working fine up until the point it tries to write out it's results.
Initially I was getting an issue with the akka frameSize being too small,
but after expanding that I'm now getting a much more cryptic error:

14/09/12 15:54:55 INFO scheduler.DAGScheduler: Failed to run saveAsTextFile
at TextDelimitedReaderWriter.scala:288
Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due
to stage failure: Task 8.0:3 failed 4 times, most recent failure: TID 448
on host ip-10-105-176-77.eu-west-1.compute.internal failed for unknown
reason

This is from the master node, but there doesn't seem to be anything more
intelligible in the slave node logs.

I've tried writing to the local file system as well as s3n and can see it's
not an access problem, as I am seeing a zero length file appear.

Thanks for any pointers and apologies if this would be better to ask on the
Spark list,

Phil

Re: ItemSimilarityDriver failing to write text file

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
This is pretty hard to grok.

"Paul R. Brown added a comment - 09/Jun/14 16:36 - edited
As food for thought, here is the InnerClass section of the JVM spec. It looks like there have been some changes from 2.10.3 to 2.10.4 (e.g., SI-6546), but I didn't dig in.
I think the thing most likely to work is to ensure that exactly the same bits are used by all of the distributions and posted to Maven Central. (For some discussion on inner class naming stability, there was quite a bit of it on the Java 8 lambda discussion list, e.g., this message.)

I compile Mahout and Spark for the version of Hadoop I use. It sounds like they are suggesting you do that if you can’t guarantee that all artifacts were built using the same Scala. Can you get source and do the same?

Not sure what you are suggesting below. In any case the example of how to use Mahout as a lib is ItemSimilarityDriver itself. You could dup that into your own module and invoke it any way you want but the saveAsText would still have a name mismatch with your version of Spark, right? Seems like the way to solve that is compile Spark.

On Sep 22, 2014, at 2:12 PM, Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com> wrote:

So after getting to know Spark a bit better and some further digging, I now
believe this is down to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2075.

I thought I could work around this, by using Mahout as a library and
submitting it as a standard Spark job. Unfortunately, I can't work out how
to express a dependency on the 1.0-SNAPSHOT appropriately, at least with
SBT, which is my normal build tool. Is there an example build file for
using the snapshot version as a library?

Thanks,

Phil

Posted by Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Posted by Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
[...]

I have not tested with s3n:// URIs. I assume you can read all these with the hadoop tools like “hadoop fs -ls s3n://recommendation-logs/2014/09/06”?

Posted by Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Posted by Phil Wills <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@gmail.com>.