Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de> on 2020/09/28 10:11:07 UTC

Re: a bit additional work required on openSUSE 15.2 with James 3.5.0

Hey there,

Matt here again.

I just wanted to give a small follow up to my own topic after some testing.
As described, it took a few steps to get James 3.5 working on my freshly
updated OpenSUSE Leap 15.2. After I made some changes in some config
files, replace BouncyCastle with the current version and added the
current mariadb-jdbc driver I was able to copy over the user table from
my root to my local home backup and gave it a test. All went fine and my
local backup now runs on 3.5 as nothin happend. Now it's time to copy
over the big mail data table and then update my root server (oh boy,
this will be fun).
So, if anyone needs some help getting current James versions run on
current opensuse systems I'm happy to offer help as far as I can provide it.

May I add a question:
As I noted in my initial mail, MD5 is still the default hash algo for
passwords. Although James uses a derbyDB by default I guess using full
blown SQL server isn't that far off from common use case. As we all keep
reading about big databases leaked (often due to not secured
master-slave replication) I may suggest for the next build that this
should be changed to SHA-256 to prevent leaks due to weak MD5 if
someone's database gets leaked.

So long,

Matt

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Le 28/09/2020 à 17:11, cryptearth a écrit :
> Hey there,
>
> Matt here again.
>
> I just wanted to give a small follow up to my own topic after some
> testing.
> As described, it took a few steps to get James 3.5 working on my
> freshly updated OpenSUSE Leap 15.2. After I made some changes in some
> config files, replace BouncyCastle with the current version and added
> the current mariadb-jdbc driver I was able to copy over the user table
> from my root to my local home backup and gave it a test. All went fine
> and my local backup now runs on 3.5 as nothin happend. Now it's time
> to copy over the big mail data table and then update my root server
> (oh boy, this will be fun).
\o/
> So, if anyone needs some help getting current James versions run on
> current opensuse systems I'm happy to offer help as far as I can
> provide it.
Thank you!

> May I add a question:
> As I noted in my initial mail, MD5 is still the default hash algo for
> passwords. Although James uses a derbyDB by default I guess using full
> blown SQL server isn't that far off from common use case. As we all
> keep reading about big databases leaked (often due to not secured
> master-slave replication) I may suggest for the next build that this
> should be changed to SHA-256 to prevent leaks due to weak MD5 if
> someone's database gets leaked.
+1, let's switch default configuration to something more secure.

Do you want to give the configuration change a shot?

Regards,

Benoit Tellier