Posted to retreats@apache.org by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/14 17:55:17 UTC

Apache Retreat - Hursley

  Hi guys - we are pretty much done on organising the Retreat for this
weekend.

The food is all ordered (thanks for the responses on food preferences),
the Tipis are due to go up on Thursday. The weather looks OK, here is
the link for anyone that wants to get updates before they come:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/308?area=SO21. We will have to
walk across grass from the Tipis the conference facilities so it would
be a good idea to bring waterproof jacket/umbrella and waterproof shoes
just in case.

When you get to the Hursley site you will need to follow the signs to
the 'Club House', it's quite well sign posted and well away from the
main buildings. It would be great if everyone could make it in time for
the evening meal on Friday - this will be at about 19:00.
Just as a reminder - check this site for details about how to get to
Hursley and other info http://sites.google.com/site/apacheretreat/home

If you are planning to come and have not signed up on the EventBrite
site - please do so now :-) http://apache.eventbrite.com/. The caterers
can deal with a few extra bodies but not many....

In terms of what we do for the weekend - just like always with Barcamps
- I don't have a plan :-) In fact it's completely up to you. If you want
to sit in a corner and code for the weekend that will be fine. If you
want to play pool all weekend (yes, there is a pool table) that will be
fine too. If you come prepared to talk about what you are doing that
would be great.

Send any questions you have to this list, I'll be watching it and
picking them up.

Zoë

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Sander W G van der Waal wrote on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:07:22 +0100:
> From: Johan Corveleyn [mailto:jcorvel@gmail.com]
> > Keysigning, public keys, ... huh? What's this about? I'm quite new to
> > Apache Retreat etc, and I'm no committer, so maybe that's it?

Using a private key you can sign a file in a way that convinces everyone
who sees the file, the signature, and the (associated) public key that
the signature was produced by the possessor of the private key.

Encryption works in reverse: the $someone who encrypts uses your public
key and has confidence that only the possessor of the associated secret
key can decrypt.

Keysigning aims to bind public keys to the /identity of/ the possessor
of the secret key.  (after all, anyone could run gpg and write "Daniel"
when gpg asked for their name)

AFAIK, the ASF uses crypto primarily to sign releases.

> Excellent, that means I'm not the only one who's new to the Apache Retreat
> and is not a committer! ;)
> I recently started to look into key signing and found the page on the Apache
> website very informative [1]. Henk Penning has a page that is specifically
> aimed at exchanging keys [2]. I guess that is still relevant?
>
> Sander
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html
> [2] http://people.apache.org/~henkp/sig/pgp-key-signing.txt

Another source:

  [2b] http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/PgpKeySigning

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
zoe slattery wrote on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 16:55:17 +0100:
>  Hi guys - we are pretty much done on organising the Retreat for this
> weekend.

:-)

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com>.
Found it. Thanks a lot.

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zoe,

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> Also: I have my return flight at 19:00 on Sunday (need to be at the
> airport around 17:50). Right now I'm planning to take the train again
> from Winchester to London Heathrow, but that takes 3h30mins :-(. So
> I'll have to leave around noon to catch a train around 14:00. Is there
> another way that will get me to London faster?

There's engineering works on Sunday, so it may be quicker to head back
from Southampton rather than Winchester. There's also the national express
bus between Winchester and Heathrow, which takes about 90 minutes and runs
roughly every two hours

Nick

Re: Apache Retreat - Hursley

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:55 PM, zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you get to the Hursley site you will need to follow the signs to the
> 'Club House', it's quite well sign posted and well away from the main
> buildings. It would be great if everyone could make it in time for the
> evening meal on Friday - this will be at about 19:00.
> Just as a reminder - check this site for details about how to get to Hursley
> and other info http://sites.google.com/site/apacheretreat/home

Ok. I'll be arriving on Friday at 10:15 in London Heathrow. I plan to
take the train from there to Winchester. If all goes well, my ETA will
be about 13:00 or 13:30 in Winchester. From there maybe I'll take a
taxi (or share a taxi with someone?).

Unless there is an other/easier/cheaper/faster way to get from London
Heathrow to Hursley around noon?

Also: I have my return flight at 19:00 on Sunday (need to be at the
airport around 17:50). Right now I'm planning to take the train again
from Winchester to London Heathrow, but that takes 3h30mins :-(. So
I'll have to leave around noon to catch a train around 14:00. Is there
another way that will get me to London faster? Maybe I can ride along