Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mohan Narayanaswamy <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/14 03:48:13 UTC

How can i have two ip for a machine (RE: Apache + IIS - coexist?)

hello everybody,
  This is my first postings. i like to know how can i
confiure two or more ip for the same machine. Is it
possible to configure two ip for same ethernet card.
can anybody suggest me the site which explaining
configuration of apache for two ip in windows.

Rgds
Mohan
Bharatplanet.com

RE: How can i have two ip for a machine (RE: Apache + IIS - coexist?)

Posted by Sean LeBlanc <se...@nutros.com>.
Just wanted to share some more info on this issue - I still haven't actually
tried the stuff from #2 below, but in the interest of saving stress on
others' parts:

1. To add another IP (in W2K), go to Control Panel, go to Network Settings,
go into LAN Properties, and select TCP-IP, click Properties. On this next
screen, click Advanced button. From here, you can add more than one IP for
local host.

2. Here's the part that had me stumped for a looooong time. Apache and
Tomcat both are pretty straightforward in how you make it bind to a specific
IP and port. IIS is another matter (the method by which one would *think* it
would be done was greyed out for me in the MMC for IIS). Here's what I
finally got for an answer (still haven't tried yet, that's to come soon) by
posting to an IIS Usent group:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238131

This is found by searching for "socket pooling". This is what causes IIS to
grab all IPs for the box it runs on. This tells how to disable that
"feature". Obviously, IIS is not part of the Apache (or Tomcat) project, but
it'd be nice to see this in a FAQ somewhere. It might save others a lot of
grief.