Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com> on 2003/02/17 13:23:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Override Apache Expires?

Hi!

it turned out that WebSphere 3.5 had a bug towards ExpiresByType.
We're now running a later version, so I can use the ExpiresByType directives
to obtain a better caching.

HOWEVER.
We run a webapplication.  From time to time, we deply a whole new set of
code, with updated flash movies and .js
I wish to cash the flash movies and the .js
Suppose I cache it for a week.  And I change the code, which I want to be
used everywhere the next morning, but still within the week cache.  Is there
a way to override the expires settings???

Imho, there isn't.  Expires are set client side, and my sniffer revealed no
activity towards the server when requesting pages with cached swf's.  I
don't see how I can alter data that isn't submitted.

Am I right?? Is there a workaround?  Or solution?

Thansk for listening :)

Koen

Re: [users@httpd] Override Apache Expires?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Koen Vingerhoets wrote:
> Imho, there isn't.  Expires are set client side, and my sniffer revealed no
> activity towards the server when requesting pages with cached swf's.  I
> don't see how I can alter data that isn't submitted.
>
> Am I right?? Is there a workaround?  Or solution?

Right.  This is controlled by the client.  You may be able to come up with
some setting of Cache-Control that makes you more happy (see the HTTP/1.1
RFC), but I suggest an easy work-around: simply change the name of the
file.  That guarentees that the client won't have it in cache.

Joshua.