Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2023/01/24 08:39:44 UTC

[WARNING] Reproducible Builds: breaking changes ahead

Hi all,
as reported by SYNCOPE-1723 [1], our releases up to 3.0.1 are not compliant with reproducible builds.
You can read more details from the report [2].

With help from Hervé Boutemy we have prepared some changes [3] that should solve such an issue but will affect the way people is ordinarily building their Syncope-based Maven projects.

Up to 3.0.1, in fact, the typical build command is the one reported by [4] e.g.

mvn clean verify \
    -Dconf.directory=/opt/syncope/conf \
    -Dbundles.directory=/opt/syncope/bundles \
    -Dlog.directory=/opt/syncope/log

Once [3] will be merged, instead, this command will become a bare

mvn clean verify

but with need to specify the following system properties, either if run as a standalone application or deployed within a JavaEE container:

* -Dsyncope.conf.dir=/opt/syncope/conf
* -Dsyncope.connid.location=file:/opt/syncope/bundles
* -Dsyncope.log.dir=/opt/syncope/log

As you could see from [3], standalone, archetype and docker images were changed altogether to work in this way; docs were updated as well.

Such a change is planned for next release 3.0.2; naturally, we will also need to include a proper message in its release notes.

Regards.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-1723
[2] https://github.com/jvm-repo-rebuild/reproducible-central/blob/master/content/org/apache/syncope/syncope-3.0.0.diffoscope
[3] https://github.com/apache/syncope/pull/405