Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2004/05/15 23:49:30 UTC

Subversion

We need to move the CVS out of Jakarta and into Portals.
This leads me again to the question I've asked before.
Is this a good time to migrate (both J1 and J2) to Subversion?

 From what I hear, Apache will be migrating all repositories to
Subversion within the next year, regardless.

Im wondering if the time is right now.

As you are probably aware, Scott is working on a major refactoring,
moving many package subtrees out of the portal subproject and into
their respective components/ subprojects.
The big problem I see with this, and it has nothing to do with Scott's
refactoring, which I fully support, is that we will lose version
history on all moved files!

With Subversion, this will not happen. Subversion works very well with
keeping history when files are moved during refactoring.

The one issue that has been raised often is that Eclipse does not
integrate with Subversion.
We need to find that one out for ourselves.
Download Subclipse

http://subclipse.tigris.org/

and try it. I plan to next week.

Look forward to your comments

Re: Subversion

Posted by Scott T Weaver <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
I do agree that Subversion is a step forward in regards to version
control, however, I am -1 on subversion until we can verify there is a
eclipse plugin that replicates 99% of the functionality we get through
Eclipse's native CVS support.

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
* -------------------------------------- *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *

Re: Subversion

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
My client has decided to switch over to subversion, regardless the state
of subclipse for exactly the reason you indicated (it was my proposal):
version history on moved files and also easier support for refactorings.
Subclipse will catch up eventually, I'm sure of it. For the time being,
for so far subclipse isn't working as needed, command line access or one
of the other client tools will have to do.

I must note though we are *not* yet using subversion, but within weeks
we will. Whatever issues we have which may be of interest to portals I
will share of course.

Regards,

Ate