Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Ram, Siddharth" <sr...@qualcomm.com> on 2004/05/13 17:50:08 UTC

Neon dependency question

I am running svn on RH9.0. I was having occasional difficulties with
svn. Since I had yum updated my rpms, I decided that what I needed to do
was rebuild svn to make sure everything is ok. Before building, I
noticed that there were some older version of libneon (23.5) which were
already present in /usr/lib, so I got rid of them before building neon
0.24.5. (I think) that is where my problems started.

After rebulding svn , I get the following error:

Svn: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libsvn_ra-1.so.0: undefined
symbol: ne_ssl_load_pkcs12.

Ldd reveals that svn depends  on libneon.so.24. but release 24 of neon
does not have this symbol - I believe it was deprecated by
ne_ssl_clicert_read().

So does svn require an older version of neon to be present in order to
execute correctly?

Thanks for your help
-Siddharth

Re: Neon dependency question

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:55:39PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 12:50, Ram, Siddharth wrote:
>
> > Svn: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libsvn_ra-1.so.0: undefined
> > symbol: ne_ssl_load_pkcs12.
>
> This means the new neon library doesn't have SSL compiled in, and the
> svn library thinks it should.  (Apparently the old neon library had SSL
> support.)  The new neon library needs to be configured "--with-ssl" and
> recompiled.

You never get that sort of error with neon; neon defines the ne_ssl_*
symbols regardless of whether SSL is supported or not, and it's quite
safe to build against a libneon.so which has no SSL support and run
against a libneon.so which *does* have SSL support, or vice versa.

I'd guess this error is more likely to be due to linking against old
versions of the SVN libraries in /usr/local/lib; try removing them
before building the new version of SVN.

joe

Re: Neon dependency question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.