Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/09 20:05:54 UTC

Podling status files

I see a trend in podlings not filling in their status files. Shindig
and Pig both have the bare template as their status file. Can someone
(e.g. the mentors of said projects) update the status files please?
I'm hoping for a completely checked status file, but in the very least
I'd expect a list of initial committers augmented with the committers
that were added after incubation started. A list of actual mentors is
also welcomed.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.3

Re: Podling status files

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10/06/2008, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>  > On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 15:23 -0400, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>  >> Martijn Dashorst wrote:
>  >> > I see a trend in podlings not filling in their status files. Shindig
>  >> > and Pig both have the bare template as their status file. Can someone
>  >> > (e.g. the mentors of said projects) update the status files please?
>  >> > I'm hoping for a completely checked status file, but in the very least
>  >> > I'd expect a list of initial committers augmented with the committers
>  >> > that were added after incubation started. A list of actual mentors is
>  >> > also welcomed.
>  >> >
>  >> > Martijn
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >>
>  >> While we are on the subject, many people also do not do a svn up before
>  >> they update
>  >> their status files, etc and revert other projects files. I will not name
>  >> names, but please make
>  >> sure to not revert other projects status files when you update your project
>  >
>  > Are you sure that's it? SVN won't allow you to commit to a file if there
>  > are commits that you haven't even updated.
>  >
>  > What I think is happening is that folks are committing changes to the
>  > HTML, and then someone does it right - they rebuild the HTML from XML,
>  > and commit the HTML over the top of those changes.
>  >
>  > That isn't the fault of the person who reruns Anakia, that is the fault
>  > of the person who edited the HTML directly.
>

> should this be checked in the build script...?

How would that work? What can the script check?

Perhaps worth adding a big banner to the start of the HTML files
warning people not to update them directly. This is what has been done
for the Apache site. However people sometimes still miss the warning,
possibly because the warning comes after the AL header.

But worth a try ...

Re: Podling status files

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Podling status files

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 15:23 -0400, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> > I see a trend in podlings not filling in their status files. Shindig
> > and Pig both have the bare template as their status file. Can someone
> > (e.g. the mentors of said projects) update the status files please?
> > I'm hoping for a completely checked status file, but in the very least
> > I'd expect a list of initial committers augmented with the committers
> > that were added after incubation started. A list of actual mentors is
> > also welcomed.
> >
> > Martijn
> >

> While we are on the subject, many people also do not do a svn up before
> they update
> their status files, etc and revert other projects files. I will not name
> names, but please make
> sure to not revert other projects status files when you update your project

Are you sure that's it? SVN won't allow you to commit to a file if there
are commits that you haven't even updated.

What I think is happening is that folks are committing changes to the
HTML, and then someone does it right - they rebuild the HTML from XML,
and commit the HTML over the top of those changes.

That isn't the fault of the person who reruns Anakia, that is the fault
of the person who edited the HTML directly.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Podling status files

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I see a trend in podlings not filling in their status files. Shindig
> and Pig both have the bare template as their status file. Can someone
> (e.g. the mentors of said projects) update the status files please?
> I'm hoping for a completely checked status file, but in the very least
> I'd expect a list of initial committers augmented with the committers
> that were added after incubation started. A list of actual mentors is
> also welcomed.
>
> Martijn

While we are on the subject, many people also do not do a svn up before
they update
their status files, etc and revert other projects files. I will not name
names, but please make
sure to not revert other projects status files when you update your project

Carl.

Re: Podling status files

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Martijn Dashorst
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see a trend in podlings not filling in their status files. Shindig
> and Pig both have the bare template as their status file. Can someone
> (e.g. the mentors of said projects) update the status files please?
> I'm hoping for a completely checked status file, but in the very least
> I'd expect a list of initial committers augmented with the committers
> that were added after incubation started. A list of actual mentors is
> also welcomed.
>
> Martijn

+1

I'd probably expect some information from releases as well.

I'd also recommend that mentors help the Podlign PMC to get familiar
with the process, rather then doing it themselves.

> Apache Wicket 1.3.3 is released
> Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.3

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer