Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Zhang, Larry (L.)" <lz...@ford.com> on 2004/06/02 23:46:34 UTC

When to use EJB?

Our web application uses Web sphere application server. The main transaction is to update People Soft database tables. We are using component interface (a People Soft term) to update the underline tables in People Soft. Associated to a transaction ( a People Soft database update for example), there will be another Oracle table insert. (The Oracle and People Soft databases are in different Unix boxes). Sounds like a good candidate to use 2 phase commit, and also a good candidate for EJB.

I want to gather some pros and cons as whether or not we should use EJB in this case. And also if it is possible to employee 2 phase commit protocol.

I appreciate your insights.

Thanks.

Larry Zhang

RE: When to use EJB?

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.
If all you need is 2phase commit, You can directly use JTA along with XA
drivers for both of your databases.
2-phase commit using EJBs could have been an option if your system currently
uses EJBs for managing these database schemas.

<navjot/>