Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2004/03/19 08:06:04 UTC

Availability of source code

This question came up recently at Cocoon:

What will happen with the now deprecated/dead source code (ECM,
excalibur packages etc.). We are of course still relying on those
code and want to be able to maintain old versions of Cocoon.
So this includes that we need to have access to the source code
and that we are able to modify it if required.

What are the plans? Do you plan to remove the source code? And
if, when?

Thanks
Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://www.osoco.net/weblogs/rael/

Re: Availability of source code

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 19 March 2004 15:06, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> What are the plans? Do you plan to remove the source code? And
> if, when?

Only speaking from my own PoV.

"Dead" = noone is really working on the code.
"Mortician" = Niclas
"Embalment" = Mortician restoring the Dead to a beautiful state for the life
after this.
"Funeral" = commit rights are removed.
"Buried" & "Life After This" = Read-only by anyone, complete with history.
"Raise the Dead" = reviving the project to be maintained by others.

Re: Availability of source code

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Saturday 20 March 2004 03:55, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>>>Do you plan to remove the source code?
>>
>>That presumes that the project is entitled to do so.  I would argue that it
>>is one thing that a project is rarely, if ever, authorized to do.  The PMC
>>manages the project on behalf of the ASF, but the PMC is not the owner of
>>the code.  I would caution anyone against *deleting* code.
>

> Read my post !
> Seems to be very hard to get into people's heads.
>
> I am leaving....

Waiting for the photos!

Steve.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Read my post !
> Seems to be very hard to get into people's heads.

Niclas, I didn't say YOU were deleting things.  I made a generalized
statement in light of expressed concerns.

If you took it personally, I apologize.  That was not my intent.

	--- Noel

Re: Availability of source code

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Carsten,

> What will happen with the now deprecated/dead source code (ECM,
> excalibur packages etc.).

As I just posted on the PMC list ...

As you might imagine, I am not in accord with "burying"/deleting code.  Once
we move to Subversion, we can manage deprecated packages in more intelligent
ways, including giving access to Cocoon developers for ECM's continued
maintenance.

I imagine that would make you happier.