Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Simon Zeng <Si...@GALLERYSYSTEMS.COM> on 2013/10/02 06:21:43 UTC

Next official Solr release

Hi Solr team,

I am working on a project that needs Solr 'block join' feature that currently available in 4.6 nightly build. My boss feel more comfortable with an
official release like 4.4.  I am wondering if there is any target release date for Solr 4.6(+) or 5.0?

Thanks,
Simon

Re: Next official Solr release

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/1/2013 10:21 PM, Simon Zeng wrote:
> I am working on a project that needs Solr 'block join' feature that currently available in 4.6 nightly build. My boss feel more comfortable with an
> official release like 4.4.  I am wondering if there is any target release date for Solr 4.6(+) or 5.0?

There is a strong push to keep the release branch (currently branch_4x)
in a state where it can always be used in place of a full release.
Breakage does sometimes happen, but it's usually detectable by running
the large suite of unit tests that are part of the source code.  When
something does break, it is typically fixed very quickly.  It's
development code, and the pace of change in the Lucene/Solr project is
VERY fast.

The process to release 4.5 is wrapping up as I type this.  The release
vote passed, so the release candidate will be finalized and start
copying to download mirrors.  It is likely to be only a few more days
before the release announcement is made.  You can probably get it before
the announcement is made by checking the parent directory on a download
mirror.

Nothing is set in stone.  There's no set schedule for releases.  Since
the 4.0 release, minor releases are dropping about once every 1-3
months.  Two of those minor releases were quickly followed by point
releases to fix some bigger bugs.  Releases happen when one of the
committers decides that it's time and takes the reins to act as release
manager.  We don't ignore the community, so if there are strong voices
wanting a release, it's likely to happen.

A 4.6.0 release will probably happen before the end of the year, but I
can't guarantee that.

The release timeframe for 5.0 is *completely* undecided.  It might be a
few months from now, it might be a year from now.  Some of the things
that have been tentatively planned for that release are nowhere near
finished.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Next official Solr release

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I am working on a project that needs Solr 'block join' feature that
: currently available in 4.6 nightly build. My boss feel more comfortable
: with an

FWIW: block join is in 4.5 which should hit the mirrors this week...

-Hoss