Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/03/28 19:40:10 UTC

[Commons Wiki] Update of "CommonsResources" by HenriYandell

Dear Wiki user,

The "CommonsResources" page has been changed by HenriYandell.
The comment on this change is: Removing my opinion as it's out of date..
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CommonsResources?action=diff&rev1=17&rev2=18

  An important part of the books and articles from the community's point of view, is which versions of the components they cover. Hopefully we can outline these here.

- === Opinion of HenriYandell ===
- As a fervent buyer of technical books, especially open-source ones, I have a lot of opinions when it comes down to these books. Take the following with a grain of salt, especially as they are based on memory and personal view:
-
-  * Christian's book is not solely focused on Commons, but is instead about programming in general, with Commons as a focused set of examples. This book came out quietly and seems academic in nature; useful for teaching a class I'd suspect.
-  * Harshad's book was the first out that I would consider a real Commons book. I was one of the technical reviewers, and so a large pinch of salt should apply here. I think the book is very good for anyone with little Commons experience, with nice examples and a good wide coverage of Commons components.
-  * I'm drooling at the thought of Tim's book. The Commons and Cookbook concepts suit each other very well and I think this is a possible classic. Very well suited to any fans of the Perl Cookbook or people with some experience of Commons already I am going to guess (currently reading this).
-  * My school-German is too weak nowadays to understand Torsten's book. It's niche is quite clear, though whether a speaker of German and English would prefer it, I don't know.
-  * I've yet to read Will's book from Prentice Hall.
-  * I've never read a SourceBeat book, so have little clue on Jonathan's text. It's been coming-soon for almost a year now it seems though, which has been dissapointing. The blog is interesting, and suggests Jonathan will be focusing on a smaller set of components than I would expect. One advantage of the SourceBeat approach is that we're promised updates to the text on a subscription model. So when released, it should stay more up to date on versions of the components than other books.
-  * Vikram's series of articles at onjava.com were probably the first piece of text on Commons as a whole to be published. His forthcoming book will join Harshad's as a standard style text on Commons. I've draft-reviewed this one too, so more salt. The diffentiating factor for me here is the author's style; Harshad's better suits inexperienced developers, while Vikram is more efficient. Vikram's is available online at Manning as an e-book, or as individual chapters instead of in the paper format.
-
- So in summary:
-
-  * Christian's: Teachers.
-  * Harshad's: Newbie->Intermediate Java developers.
-  * Tim's: Current users of Commons.
-  * Jonathan's: Subscription model.
-  * Vikram's: Intermediate->Experienced Java developers.
-  * Torsten's: German text.
-  * Will's: <to-come>
- (/End of Opinion)
- ----