Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Florin Jurcovici <fl...@mail.dnttm.ro> on 2006/09/01 15:30:47 UTC

Re: Client Side Validation in Ofbiz

Hello.

I can understand your need for simple client side validations like
mandatory fields. I see quite a few reasons for not using client side
validations:

First, you never know who is calling into the services exposed by OFBiz.
You wouldn't want somebody hooking into your implementation of OFBiz to
damage your data by submitting data which is not valid from a user
interface other than the one you designed and implemented, and where you
carefully crafted all validations.

Second, validations imposed by business rules may be quite complex. So
complex that you may query several objects other than the one being
validated before you can validate the data that was submitted. Doing this
in the client is not economic, IMO. Only allowing some validations in the
client and other validations on the server would yield an inconsistent and
harder to read the code, and probably also more difficult to program,
since you need to always think/look where which validation is placed.

Third, some validations may require access to data to which the person
submitting them should not have access. You may be able to implement such
validations on the server, but I think it would be pretty difficult to do
this on the client in a safe way, since allowing the client to access the
protected data would actually allow the user to read this data.

br,

--
Florin Jurcovici