Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kelly Corbin <kc...@theiqgroup.com> on 2005/04/05 19:04:01 UTC

Spamassassin only autolearning ham, not spam after upgrade to 3.0.2

I have 4 machines configured identically (with the exception of the -m
option due to differences in resources on each machine) with
SpamAssassin and spamass-milter.  I recently upgraded to 3.0.2 from 2.64
and everything seems to be working pretty good with the exception of one
machine.  After watching the mail log, I noticed that it is not
autolearning any spam, no matter how high it scores.  It does autolearn
ham however, and the other 3 machines autolearn spam fine.

I've looked at everything I can think of (configuration files, file
permissions, checked FAQ's, searched list archives, etc.) and can't
figure out why it won't autolearn any spam.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kelly

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Network Administrator
--
-- http://www.theiqgroup.com

Re: Spamassassin only autolearning ham, not spam after upgrade to 3.0.2

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Kelly Corbin wrote:

> What is this 'learned-points'?

That's what score the BAYES_* rules would have given this message based
on existing learning.

This is basically used to prevent SA from automatically learning
anything that noticeably contradicts the existing training.

>   Is my database poisoned on the affected
> machine?

Possibly. It's either poisoned, or it's just not trained on a wide
enough variety of spam.

It looks like SA's existing training tells it to regard that message as
BAYES_00. (ie: less than 1% chance of being spam). I'm basing the
BAYES_00 claim on the learned points being -2.599, which matches the
score of the BAYES_00 rule.

Re: Spamassassin only autolearning ham, not spam after upgrade to 3.0.2

Posted by Kelly Corbin <kc...@theiqgroup.com>.
Here's my auto-learn lines from the machine that doesn't work:
debug: auto-learn: currently using scoreset 3, recomputing score based
on scoreset 1.
debug: auto-learn: message score: 23.316, computed score for autolearn:
24.06
debug: auto-learn? ham=0.1, spam=10, body-points=16.82,
head-points=9.84, learned-points=-2.599
debug: auto-learn? no: scored as spam but learner indicated ham (-2.599
< -1)
debug: is spam? score=23.316 required=6

And here's my output from the machine that's learning OK:
debug: auto-learn: currently using scoreset 3, recomputing score based
on scoreset 1.
debug: auto-learn: message score: 25.916, computed score for autolearn:
24.06
debug: auto-learn? ham=0.1, spam=10, body-points=16.82,
head-points=9.84, learned-points=0.001
debug: auto-learn? yes, spam (24.06 > 10)
debug: Learning Spam

What is this 'learned-points'?  Is my database poisoned on the affected
machine?

Thanks!

Kelly

Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:

> Kelly Corbin wrote:
>
>> I have 4 machines configured identically (with the exception of the -m
>> option due to differences in resources on each machine) with
>> SpamAssassin and spamass-milter.  I recently upgraded to 3.0.2 from 2.64
>> and everything seems to be working pretty good with the exception of one
>> machine.  After watching the mail log, I noticed that it is not
>> autolearning any spam, no matter how high it scores.  It does autolearn
>> ham however, and the other 3 machines autolearn spam fine.
>>
>> I've looked at everything I can think of (configuration files, file
>> permissions, checked FAQ's, searched list archives, etc.) and can't
>> figure out why it won't autolearn any spam.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Take an email with lots of hits and save it as 'spam-email', then run
> 'spamassassin -t -D < spam-email' and see what the debug has to say
> about it.   Feel free to post the Bayes-specific parts of the debug here
> if you aren't sure of how to read it.
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Kelly

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Network Administrator
--
-- http://www.theiqgroup.com

Posted by Kelly Corbin <kc...@theiqgroup.com>.
That did the trick!  I just copied over the databases from one of the
good machines and right away it started doing the autolearn=spam.

Thanks for all your help.

Kelly

Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:

> Kelly Corbin wrote:
>
>> Here's my auto-learn lines from the machine that doesn't work:
>> debug: auto-learn: currently using scoreset 3, recomputing score based
>> on scoreset 1.
>> debug: auto-learn: message score: 23.316, computed score for
>> autolearn: 24.06
>> debug: auto-learn? ham=0.1, spam=10, body-points=16.82,
>> head-points=9.84, learned-points=-2.599
>> debug: auto-learn? no: scored as spam but learner indicated ham
>> (-2.599 < -1)
>> debug: is spam? score=23.316 required=6
>>

>> And here's my output from the machine that's learning OK:
>> debug: auto-learn: currently using scoreset 3, recomputing score based
>> on scoreset 1.
>> debug: auto-learn: message score: 25.916, computed score for
>> autolearn: 24.06
>> debug: auto-learn? ham=0.1, spam=10, body-points=16.82,
>> head-points=9.84, learned-points=0.001
>> debug: auto-learn? yes, spam (24.06 > 10)
>> debug: Learning Spam
>>
>> What is this 'learned-points'?  Is my database poisoned on the
>> affected machine?
>>
> I'm guessing here that the email is hitting BAYES_00 (which has a score
> of -2.599 by default, and which is the "learned points").    SA now has
> some code to ensure that emails that hit low BAYES scores will not be
> autolearned as spam and emails that hit high BAYES scores will not be
> autolearned as ham, no matter what they score otherwise.  I'm assuming,
> then, that all or most of your emails are hitting BAYES_00 to BAYES_40
> only.   This means that indeed your Bayes database is pooched.
> The easiest solution is likely to just delete the database from this
> machine and copy over the database from one of your other systems,
> provided that they are handling similar types of emails.

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Network Administrator
--
-- http://www.theiqgroup.com