Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/13 05:41:43 UTC

Software grants

Apologies for not doing my job and talking about this earlier.

Software grants
----------------------

Whenever code enters the ASF, it needs to be clearly defining the
intellectual property. In the case of our day to day commits; this is
handled by our ICLA. In the case when our ICLA is being used as a part
of our employment, we have the addition of the CCLA.

This doesn't cover work that has been developed outside of the ASF.
Regardless of who did the work; if a body of existing code is donated
to the ASF - a Software Grant needs to be signed and faxed/snailed:
bottom of http://www.apache.org/licenses/.

---

I'm unsure if there's a way to speed this up for the model where a 3rd
party (IBM/Sun/JavaLobby/whomever) are maintaining an internal version
of Roller with enhancements - a model where we'd hope to be able to
encourage frequent donations of bodies of code. I'll try to find that
out.

Hen

Re: Software grants

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the lack of reply Jeff. All my free time has been gobbled up
by packing the house up to move. I'll try to get back on this soon;
but mostly I need to check the foundation side of things to see if the
grant has been recorded.

The ICLA is for committership. I think another email of yours asked
how you would become a committer; the easiest answer is:  act like a
committer. If you're voting on issues, getting involved in discussions
and sending in patches, it's rare for committership not to follow.
Basically, show commitment :)

Hen

Re: Software grants

Posted by Jeff Blattman <Je...@Sun.COM>.
hi henri,

How to become a committer (was Re: Software grants)

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Jeff Blattman wrote:
> one thing ... this code will probably be modified to greater or
> lesser degree in the coming months. i would like to be in a
> position where i can put back bug fixes, etc. is that possible?

Yes.

I've been pointing folks to this explanation for years.
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ContributorFAQs

Maybe there is a more concise/accurate version of this advice on
apache.org

- Dave

Re: Software grants

Posted by Jeff Blattman <Je...@Sun.COM>.
thanks henri,

sorry, i'm new at this. why am i not signing the "contributor license
agreement"? is this because i am not technically a contributor, but am
instead just giving this code to the incubator project, for someone else
to contribute?

Re: Software grants

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Patches are covered by the Apache License itself.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Software grants

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.

Re: Software grants

Posted by Phay Lau <pt...@gmail.com>.
My apologies for not paying attention to this sooner.

I will get in touch with the appropriate people at IBM to take care of this.

-Phay

Re: Software grants

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Software grants

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/13/06, David M Johnson <Da...@sun.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:41 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Apologies for not doing my job and talking about this earlier.
> >
> > Software grants
> > ----------------------
> >
> > Whenever code enters the ASF, it needs to be clearly defining the
> > intellectual property. In the case of our day to day commits; this is
> > handled by our ICLA. In the case when our ICLA is being used as a part
> > of our employment, we have the addition of the CCLA.
> >
> > This doesn't cover work that has been developed outside of the ASF.
> > Regardless of who did the work; if a body of existing code is donated
> > to the ASF - a Software Grant needs to be signed and faxed/snailed:
> > bottom of http://www.apache.org/licenses/.
>

> > I'm unsure if there's a way to speed this up for the model where a 3rd
> > party (IBM/Sun/JavaLobby/whomever) are maintaining an internal version
> > of Roller with enhancements - a model where we'd hope to be able to
> > encourage frequent donations of bodies of code. I'll try to find
> > that out.
>
> Sounds like we need an ICLA from Jeff Blattman of Sun and Phay Tac
> Lau of IBM.

Nope, just software grants. Also an ICLA wouldn't stop the need to get
a software grant - the work was developed prior to having an ICLA, and
outside of the ASF SVN.

> One question: does this policy apply for every patch, no matter how
> small? For example, if somebody posts a bug report and includes a one
> sentence description of exactly what must be changed in one specific
> file, do we need an ICLA for that?

[s/ICLA/Software Grant]

I love how we all ask that question :)

Nope, that doesn't require a grant. I think the important part there
is that a patch or a bug report is not a new piece of work; it's just
a modification of something we already own and the act of reporting to
us acknowledges that (IANAL though so will have to nudge my
explanation towards Cliff to see if he agrees).

New vs modify. Sizeable vs tiny.

Ultimately it'll be up to the PMC to draw the line on the grey areas;
or legal if they're not sure etc.

Hen

Re: Software grants

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.