Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alexander Nikolaev <tr...@yahoo.com> on 2021/04/06 08:04:51 UTC

Backup cassandra and restore. Best practices

Hello everyone!We have a new Cassandra cluster, which exists of 5 nodes in 1 DC. Now, I looking for a tool, which could help backup data to S3 or smth locally. Could you help me please with best practices for backing up and restoring? Is it enough to have local snapshots? In my opinion, the better way is copying snapshots to another server also, like S3. How are you implement it? Which tools do you use?Thanks for sharing your answers!
With Best RegardsAlexander N.

    вторник, 6 апреля 2021 г., 10:10:29 GMT+3, manish khandelwal <ma...@gmail.com> написал(-а):

 Hi
I am struggling to find way to set read_ahead_kb for Cassandra in our Kubernetes environment. Any way by which we can achieve this? My issue is that since PV is mounted in a container and it can have any name depending on partition number. Also wanted to know where it will be set, inside the container or on the host machine?
RegardsManish

Re: Backup cassandra and restore. Best practices

Posted by Bowen Song <bo...@bso.ng>.
Medusa /Support for local storage, Google Cloud Storage (GCS) and AWS S3
through //Apache Libcloud <https://libcloud.apache.org/>//. Can be
extended to support other storage providers supported by Apache
Libcloud,/ and Apache Libcloud supports minio
<https://libcloud.readthedocs.io/en/stable/storage/drivers/minio.html>.
So in theory Medusa supports minio.

Posted by Alexander Nikolaev <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Oh, yes you're right. Sorry for my inattention. I'll check it out. Thank you all! I really appreciate it
With Best Regards   Alexander N.
    вторник, 6 апреля 2021 г., 13:50:45 GMT+3, Alexander DEJANOVSKI <ad...@gmail.com> написал(-а):

  Yes, Minio is supported by Medusa through the S3 compatible backend.I reckon we need to update the docs with a guide on setting up those backends, but it's pretty much the same as ceph s3 rgw in configuring your medusa.ini :- use s3_compatible as storage backend- set the host, port and region settings appropriately to connect to your Minio install- set the "secure" setting to false (libcloud doesn't support ssl on s3 compatible backends)
And you should be good to go.We also have integration tests that use the Minio backend.
Cheers,
Alex
Le mar. 6 avr. 2021 à 12:33, Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com> a écrit :

Minio is a supported type -- https://github.com/apache/libcloud/blob/trunk/libcloud/storage/types.py#L108
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 at 20:29, Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com> wrote:

This is a useful tool, but we look for smth that could store backups in local S3 (like minio), not Amazon or else..

As I stated in my response, Medusa supports any S3-like storage that the Apache Libcloud API can access. See the docs I linked. Cheers!

Re: Backup cassandra and restore. Best practices

Posted by Alexander DEJANOVSKI <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.
Minio is a supported type --

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Alexander Nikolaev <tr...@yahoo.com>.

 I'd recommend using Medusa (https://github.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-medusa/wiki) -- an open-source tool which automates backups and has support for archiving to S3, Google Cloud and any S3-like storage. Cheers!

Re: Backup cassandra and restore. Best practices

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.
I'd recommend using Medusa (