Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sir Gilligan <si...@yahoo.com> on 2014/01/09 19:02:03 UTC

Solr Cloud Query Scaling

Question: Does adding replicas help with query load?

Scenario: 3 Physical Machines. 3 Shards
Query any machine, get results. Standard Solr Cloud stuff.

Update Scenario: 6 Physical Machines. 3 Shards.
M = Machine, S = Shard, -L = Leader
M1S1-L
M2S2
M3S3
M4S1
M5S2-L
M6S3-L

Incoming Query to M2S2. How will Solr Cloud (4.6.0) distribute the query?
Will M2S2 handle the query for shard 2? Or, will it send it to the
leader of S2 which is M5S2?
When the query is distributed, will it send it to the other leaders? OR,
will it send it to any shard?
Specifically:
Query sent to M2S2. Solr Cloud distributes the query. Could it possibly
send the query on to M3S3 and M4S1? Some kind of query load balance
functionality (maybe like a round robin to the shard members).
OR will M2S2 just be the collator, and send the query to the leaders?
OR something different that I have not described?

If queries do not have to be processed by leaders then we could add
three more physical machines (now total 9 machines) and handle more
query load.

Thank you.

Re: Solr Cloud Query Scaling

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
You do need to load balance the initial query request across the SolrCloud
nodes. Solj's CloudSolrServer and LBHttpSolrServer can perform the load
balancing for you in the client.  Or you can use a hardware load balancer.

Joel Bernstein
Search Engineer at Heliosearch

Re: Solr Cloud Query Scaling

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.