Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2009/12/15 17:55:58 UTC

Re: Site-wide Bayes

On 12/15/09 11:49 AM, Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Matt Garretson wrote:
>> Heartily agreed. Site-wide bayes here (single database for 2000+
>> users) catches 40% of the spam here.
>
> But what is the FP rate? Is it safe for an ISP with a widely varied
> user base to use site-wide Bayes?

I find that you should reduce scores on the high and low end (bayes_00
and bayes_95) and the 'meta rules' that might combine them also.

(so, yes, an ISP, or for our hosted clients, we have modified the bayes
scores. .  if one client is a plastic surgeon, one is a stock broker,
and one is a mortgage broker, each will be getting wildly different ham)

setting up a 'per domain' bayes might work, might be tricky, especially
if an inbound email is going to several domains, and only if you are
doing B2B (commercial clients)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: Site-wide Bayes

Posted by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com>.
On 12/17/2009 10:30 AM, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:36:12 -0500
> Michael Scheidell<sc...@secnap.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/09 9:27 AM, Thomas Harold wrote:
>>> I'm guessing that you'd also want to change the autolearn
>>> thresholds to be stricter?  Like only auto-learning if it scores
>>> below -2 or above +10?
>>>
>>> (That might be an amavisd-new feature.)
>> I still use 0, but have the high score at +15.
>
> The default is 0.1 IIRC, and I wouldn't recommend setting it lower
> without negative-scoring custom rules - it's set positive for good
> reasons.
>
> BAYES and "userconf" whitelisting rules don't count for autolearning, so
> if you set a negative threshold with the default rules, you rely on
> DNS whitelisting to define ham - the likes of HABEOUS.
>
> Setting it at exactly 0.0 is also problematical since the decision to
> learn is commonly going to be determined by nominally scored rules that
> score 0.001 and -0.001.

Looking at the wiki...

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BasicConfiguration

We're not using "userconf" whitelisting, our whitelisting is done by
amavisd-new mappings (where we score specific domains/addresses with a
small -2 to -5 score).

The wiki, as it is currently, makes it sound like the +0.1 default for
ham auto-learn is not conservative enough.  And that the +6.0 default
for auto-learning spam is too risky.

(We run with -0.5 and +9.5 as our boundaries for auto-learning.)

Re: Site-wide Bayes

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Site-wide Bayes

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
On 12/16/09 9:27 AM, Thomas Harold wrote:
> I'm guessing that you'd also want to change the autolearn thresholds
> to be stricter?  Like only auto-learning if it scores below -2 or
> above +10?
>
> (That might be an amavisd-new feature.)
I still use 0, but have the high score at +15.

watch the 'sa-learn dump --magic'

if you can keep the 'spam/ham' ratio close to your sites 'spam vs ham'
ratio, you should be ok.

Re: Site-wide Bayes

Posted by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com>.