Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Douglas Mencken <do...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/30 16:34:13 UTC

Dropping even 10.6 -- WHY?

I'm here to ask you: why you decided to drop 10.6 support?
Is it not so "hard" to keep it running, isn't it?

By the way, I'm LO guy, so see my patches, for example:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=47b520024a236eac8807a33630f493a00fc5f243
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=a2ee38ef7afcec27f46530bf9e177939e38cc815

Why is it so hard for you to support even 10.6 (no to say 10.5@powerpc)?
WHY?

Again, I know "corporate guys" are unable to read completely (unless it's
claimed by boss from "high") — WHY?

Re: Dropping even 10.6 -- WHY?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Douglas Mencken <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm here to ask you: why you decided to drop 10.6 support?
> Is it not so "hard" to keep it running, isn't it?

You can search our mailing list archives for the dev list for the
discussions.  For example, there is this thread from December 2013,
which is interesting because it gives some of the user stats related
to MacOS versions:

http://markmail.org/message/qfqarbaoesonibur

> By the way, I'm LO guy, so see my patches, for example:
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=47b520024a236eac8807a33630f493a00fc5f243
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=a2ee38ef7afcec27f46530bf9e177939e38cc815
>
> Why is it so hard for you to support even 10.6 (no to say 10.5@powerpc)?
> WHY?

As you probably know, every unique platform we support increases the
effort required to build, maintain and test, if we want to preserve
the expected quality level for users.  Looking at the current and
historical numbers we saw a sharp decline in the number of MacOS 10.6
users.  Since we were working on a major release of AOO it made sense
to make the break then.

Remember, it is never a question of IF we drop support for old
platforms, but of WHEN we drop support for older platforms.

That said, there are users on older platforms, including PowerPC.
That's fine. If there is sufficient interest this might be a good
business for a 3rd party.   We see this already with 3rd party ports
for Apache OpenOffice for Solaris and OS/2.  The Apache License allows
3rd parties to do this.  There is nothing that requires that all
porting work be filtered through or approved by us.  The code is there
for anyone to use.

Regards,

-Rob