Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jerome Moliere <jm...@perform.fr> on 2000/02/16 19:07:14 UTC

Config examples

Hi,
i'm using Tomcat + Apache 1.3.11 + mod_jserv + mod_ssl
I'd like to map all URLs coming to my web server into servlets
invokation, using the mod_jserv apache module.
I've included the path_to_tomcat.conf files , specified the location
of the Web.xml file but i keep getting error pages from my server.

mod_ssl seems to get the requests, with a 200 status ( they might be
forwarded, am I wrong?) but servlets are never invoked?

Any clue?config examples?
thanks in advance.
Jerome

Re: Load Balancing

Posted by Jean-Luc Rochat <jn...@cybercable.fr>.
Shachor Gal wrote:

> > Is anyone working on load balancing for tomcat.
> > If so GREAT, when can we get it :)
> > If not
> > Any ideas and thoughts so far on this?
> > Is it something I can take up?
> >

> As a concept, Tomcat inherits the Jserv code that handled load balancing.
> The problem is that this code is currently partially broken... session
> state will not work correctly!!!
>
> As soon as I will be able to check code into the CVS I will fix that and
> let you know... Hopefully sooner then later.
>
> Now, for how it is working...
> Apache (or any other web server) is first accepting the request, when it
> finds out that the request should go to Tomcat it need to decide who is
> the Tomcat process to be used. Deciding that can be based on something
> like round robin but then you also need to support session affinity to the
> JVM where the session started.
>
> Jserv (as well as other servlet engines) solved this problem by embedding
> the JVM id inside the session id sent to the client. Currently this part
> is broken so sessions will not work (at all).
>
>         Gal Shachor

Hi Gal,

go on ! I was just planning to rewrite parts of this code, but sounds
cool to work on this with others and get it working soon.

Jean-Luc

RE: Load Balancing

Posted by Angsuman Chakraborty <an...@technologist.com>.
That sounds GREAT! And thanks for the details.
I was wondering if we could make the balancing algorithm pluggable, say by
using factory pattern.
Does the tomcat acting as http server support this? say 4 tomcat server
running with one of them as a leader(assuming the role of apache in the
current scenario) which delegates the task to the others.
What do you think of the idea?

I am currently playing around with tomcat and I have to say this has
undoubtedly the coolest build procedure I have seen in a long time, not to
mention a lot of other cool things.

Great job!

Angsuman

Re: Load Balancing