Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Fredrik <fr...@sitevision.se> on 2012/10/05 13:30:09 UTC

Question regarding hinted handoffs and restoring backup in cluster

When restoring a backup for the entire cluster my understanding is that
you must shutdown the entire cluster and then restore the backup and
then start up all nodes again.
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/operations/backup_restore
But how should I handle hinted handoffs (Hints CF). Since they're stored
in the system keyspace and according to the docs I only need to restore
the specific keyspace not the system keyspace.
Won't these hinted handoffs, which isn't based on the backup, be
delivered and applied as soon as one of the node which they're aimed for
comes up and thus be applied to the backuped data.
What is the recomended way to handle this situation? Removing the hints
cf from the system tables before restart of the cluster nodes?

Regards
/Fredrik

Re: Question regarding hinted handoffs and restoring backup in cluster

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
If you are restoring the backup to get back to previous point in them, then you will want to remove all hints from the cluster. You will also want to stop recording them, IIRC the only way to do that is via a yaml config.

If you are restoring the data to recover from some sort of loss, then keeping the hints in place is ok.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton