Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/29 15:29:03 UTC

Maven scripts?

If anyone has a Maven2 script in progress for MyFaces I would like to
see it.  I'm going to try and start one of my own if nobody produces
one.  Since I'm completely new to Maven I will be needing the help of
our Maven experts.  Hopefully the Tobago team and Struts lurkers will
be able to help us as well ;-)

I'm going to try and devote some time to this in between ApacheCon sessions ...

sean

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
I guess that we can configure the pom's in a way that the current
svn:externals remain the same. I think we could only change the
svn:externals for the current folder, having this structure:

current/pom.xml

    +------ api/pom.xml

    +------ share/pom.xml (?)

    +------ impl/pom.xml

    +------ tomahawk/pom.xml

    +------ sandbox/pom.xml

    +------ examples/pom.xml

                +---- simple/pom.xml

                +---- sandbox/pom.xml
   .... examples, etc

It would easier to have again a 'share' package, but I guess we can
configure the tomahawk and impl pom's to fetch the shared sources. The
dependencies for each subproject should be defined in each pom.xml.
The root pom could have the common dependencies for all the
subprojects. I would like to hear the opinion of people who is more
used to maven for this...

#1) If we respect the current structure, it is necessary to configure
the jar artifact creation in each subproject pom in order to look for
the current sources. A set of properties might be used here, as the
relative path to sources is the same in every subproject. The
advantage is that no current element is moved. The disadvantage is
that we do not follow the conventions, thing that can imply less
stability, and more learning curve for users who have got used to
maven (eg, the resources are in the src/java folder, mixed with the
java sources)

#2) If we adapt the structure to maven, we have to move the current
sources in src/main/java folders, the resources in src/main/resources
and the test to src/test/java ... This will imply a more clear order
in the myfaces resources, but would imply an update of the svn
structure and the current ant scripts, then, a branch should be
created for security and everyone who is working on the code currenlty
should commit the changes. This way is harder, but the resulting
structure is neat.

Maybe, I would go first for #1 to get the overall idea of this and,
later, I would go for #2. In case we went for #2, I think we should
change the structure before creating a possible branch for JSF1.2...

That is just some brainstorming....

Bruno

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
@ Brend: Thanks for the info.

@ Everyone: I moved all of the resources in the test repository.  So
now they are included in the jars.

The only major thing left is transforming and including the TLD's.

Then its on to examples, javadoc and site.  So far so good ...

sean

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> Quick question.  How do you include LICENSE.txt in your jar file.
> Isn't it supposed to be automatic if its in your top level dir?

I am not an expert, but my project.xml contains

    <licenses>
        <license>
            <name>The Apache Software License, Version 2.0</name>
            <url>/LICENSE.txt</url>
            <distribution>repo</distribution>
        </license>
    </licenses>

bundling other stuff you have to add a resource

<build>
    <resources>
            <resource>
                <directory>${basedir}</directory>
                <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
                <includes>
                    <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
                </includes>
            </resource>
        </resources>

Hope that helps!

Mario

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven scripts?

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Keep in mind, that's a Maven 1 site.  I haven't quite managed to
> convince m2 to do the same thing, but I'm getting closer.

Point taken.

> Watch out for http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-661, m2 will build
> the site for each module, but won't aggregate it so you can preview
> it.

Yeah I saw that one while searching the archives.  I got it open in my
other browser tab right now ;-)

> (Fix version 2.0.1?  I never know whether that means it's already
> fixed, or planned to be... different projects seem to use it in
> different ways.)

LOL we have been struggling with that one ourselves!

> Those come from the Project Info Plugin.  Looks like you can pick what
> things show up there:
>   http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/howto.html
> (Suppressing this at the module level doesn't make sense-- it's where
> 'Dependencies' will appear, and those will be different for each
> module.)

Is there a way to supress *part* of this output using the plug in?

> Those show up in "Project Reports" and are also configured in
> the<reporting> section.  For example, to get CheckStyle:
>     <reporting>
>         <plugins>
>             <plugin>
>                 <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
>                 <version>2.0-beta-1</version>
>             </plugin>
>         </plugins>
>     </reporting>

Thanks for the tip.

> HTH,

It did.

> Wendy

Sean

ps. Are you going to be at Apache Con?

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question about Maven website building.  It looks like our
> subprojects match up pretty nicely with the Maven "module" concept but
> I'm wondering what the final website will look like.  Is it possible
> to link modules into your top level module and site?  It looks like
> maybe you can from what the Struts team has done.

Keep in mind, that's a Maven 1 site.  I haven't quite managed to
convince m2 to do the same thing, but I'm getting closer.

Watch out for http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-661, m2 will build
the site for each module, but won't aggregate it so you can preview
it.  (Fix version 2.0.1?  I never know whether that means it's already

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
I agree that we probably will just reorg to comply with Maven (should
we vote to go forward.)

I have a question about Maven website building.  It looks like our
subprojects match up pretty nicely with the Maven "module" concept but
I'm wondering what the final website will look like.  Is it possible
to link modules into your top level module and site?  It looks like
maybe you can from what the Struts team has done.

There are certain items that I think should be generated at the top
project level (list of contributors, mailing lists, issue tracking,
etc.)  Then there are other items that would be nice to have at the

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven scripts?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.