Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Rich Persaud <pe...@b8d.net> on 2002/10/19 09:33:58 UTC

re[2]: Concern about the future of Apache

Those evaluating re-orgs should revisit Christopher Alexander's "Pattern Language", the inspiration for Gabriel's "Patterns of Software" and OO "design patterns":

>From http://www.patternlanguage.com/leveltwo/patternsframegreen.htm?/leveltwo/../apl/twopanelnlb.htm :
---
"The language begins with patterns that define towns and communities. These patterns can never be designed or built in one fell swoop - but patient piecemeal growth, designed in such a way that every individual act is always helping to create or generate these larger global patterns, will, slowly and surely, over the years, make a community that has these global patterns in it."
---

Social space is not a bug.   In the long-term, social identity is polymorphic with respect to semantic identity.  Flip through a few centuries of history to find supporting evidence.   Consider Apache's external identity, relative to all other open-source projects.  Which is more stable: semantic or social identity?  An internal re-org may reduce semantic learning (for newbies or external groups) at the expense of mutilating social boundaries.  Or not.  I don't have enough history in Apache to know the answer.  But social space matters.

SNA reading: http://semanticstudios.com/publications/semantics/000006.php

Rich
--
http://javaindex.org