Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by "Boldt, Tim (GE Digital)" <Ti...@ge.com> on 2017/07/12 21:01:00 UTC

OpenWhisk on Mesos

Is anyone using (or experimenting with) OpenWhisk on Mesos?

I see a 3-month old discussion (https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-devtools/issues/17) and a month-old PR (https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-devtools/pull/20). However, when I tried it, I had to hack it quite a bit to get it to work for me.

If anyone else has gotten OW working on Mesos, I’d love to hear about your experiences.

Re: OpenWhisk on Mesos

Posted by Duy Nguyen <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Great to see more interest in running OpenWhisk on Mesos.

With the deployment structure in the PR (https://github.com/apache/inc
ubator-openwhisk-devtools/pull/20), we have our OW instance running on
DC/OS. Basically, we wrap each service in a DC/OS package and publish a
dedicated universe for it. A deployment means launching those services from
the pre-defined packages and apply your apigateway config to set up the
server endpoint.

Currently one of the main limitations is with the Invoker service: it
independently manages resources for running action containers on a single
node and does not communicate back to Marathon, hence Marathon is unable to
make proper decision on allocating its resources. Some ideas to solve this
were discussed in a previous thread [1].

I have updated the PR which works well for us with the latest OpenWhisk
images. It is still blocked by a Jenkins job for building the
"whisk-couchdb" image (currently it's using a manually built couchdb
version). When it is ready we should be good to merge.

Would love to hear if you have more ideas / suggestions to this approach.

Thanks,
Duy

[1]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-openwhisk-dev/201705.mbox/%3C70F7A242-3BBB-46A5-A49A-61C35C77F68A@adobe.com%3E