Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Santhosh Thomas <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2014/05/20 09:46:20 UTC

How to detect new table creation in hive

Hello

I am writing an application that detects new table creation in  hive.
I came across attribute ' hive.metastore.event.listeners' in hive-default.xml, but could not find any usage samples.
The API docs also does not describe much. Can someone please help? Is there a better way to detect new table creation in hive?

thanks
Santhosh

Re: How to detect new table creation in hive

Posted by Santhosh Thomas <sa...@yahoo.com>.
For the benefit of others:

I was able to capture the CreateTable and DropTable events.
Got the sample NotificationListener from hcatalog/server-extensions/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/listener/NotificationListener.java - hive - Git at Google , removed unwanted stuff, packaged into a jar and put the jar into /usr/lib/hive/lib.
Now restart hive-metastore and hive-server2, changes will take effect (ofcouse hive-site.xml needs an entry for the listener).  Any error you can see in /var/log/hive/hive-metastore.log

This link has some code samples:http://programcreek.com/java-api-examples/index.php?api=org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.Table

thanks
Santhosh

 hcatalog/server-extensions/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/listener/NotificationListener.ja...
Git Sign in apache / hive / 01ca40833d06c035160d8188c116c11981b1d879 / . / hcatalog / server-extensions / src / main / java / org / apache / hcatalog / listener / NotificationListener.java
View on apache.googlesource.com Preview by Yahoo

Re: How to detect new table creation in hive

Posted by Santhosh Thomas <sa...@yahoo.com>.