Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ivan Van Laningham <iv...@callware.com> on 1998/05/27 00:58:02 UTC

general/2290: Python scripts, counters, no longer work

>Number:         2290
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Python scripts, counters, no longer work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I was running 1.3b6;
I verified that everything was working on my website (www.pauahtun.org) and I
also backed up my .conf files.  I.e., I checked that my counters were working
and all my Python cgi scripts were working.  I then stopped the apache service,
installed 1.3b7, saw that my .conf files were not nuked.  I restarted apache
using the control panel.  I changed *nothing* else.  I tested the home page
(Default.htm) and all four counters I use had the error string "Empty Query
String" in them.  Then I tested my python scripts, which can be accessed at
www.pauahtun.org/tools.html, and all fail.  They all produce *only* the minimum
boilerplate that's common to all the scripts, and then fail silently.

There is *nothing* in the error log to indicate that anything is at all
wrong.

What's worse is that I then tried to revert to 1.3b6, but had deleted my
install exe file, so I downloaded 1.3b6.1 from your dist/ directory,
and I still have the problem.  Counters don't work and cgi-scripts don't work.
Therefore, I  believe that something important changed between 1.3b6.0
and 1.3b6.1.

I am also 100% certain that I changed nothing, installed nothing else, between the
time I stopped apache and installed 1.3b7, and am also 100% certain that
the things that are broken now were working seconds before I stopped apache
to perform the install.

I marked this critical because it's basically denying service to people visiting
my website and trying to use the tools that they've come to rely on.
>How-To-Repeat:
See full description.
>Fix:
No, I haven't looked at Apache source code in months!  No clue!  Help!