Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Ma, Xiaohui (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]" <xi...@mail.nlm.nih.gov> on 2008/01/14 17:11:00 UTC

new to solr

Hello,

I am new to solr. I followed solr online tutorial to get the example
work. The search result is xml. I wonder if there is a way to show
result in a form. I saw there is example.xsl in conf/xslt directory. I
really don't know how to do it. Anyone has some ideas for me. I really
appreciate it!

Thanks,
Xiaohui

RE: new to solr

Posted by "Ma, Xiaohui (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]" <xi...@mail.nlm.nih.gov>.
Thanks very much, Ryan. I really appreciate it. I will take a look on
both.

Best regards,
Xiaohui

Posted by Ycrux <yc...@club-internet.fr>.
Hi!

I'm looking for a good way to get a good "text summarizer"
for my personal search engine based Solr.

Actually, I'm using "ots" (Open Text Summurizer) but the result
is far from perfection.

Here's an example of usage:
$ elinks "http://lucene.apache.org/solr/" -force-html -no-numbering \
-no-references  2>/dev/null | ots -r 40 | less -S

The result is OK for this site, but I would like to obtain something
similar
to google "text snippet" (a real excerpt).

Advices are welcome?

N.B: all the HTML pages I'm indexing are converted to text with "elinks"
(the text browser)
like in the previous example.

Thanks in adavance.

cheers
Younès

Re: new to solr

Posted by Stuart Sierra <ma...@stuartsierra.com>.
On Jan 14, 2008 11:55 AM, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the example.xsl is an example using XSLT to format results.  Check:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/XsltResponseWriter

To add to the above: I think the XsltResponseWriter is not intended
for formatting results for display on your web site.  Normally you
would use your server-side language (PHP, Python, etc.) to query the
Solr server, get the results, and format them for display.  Solr
doesn't provide the "front-end" search interface for your web site --
you have to create that yourself.

-Stuart
altlaw.org

Re: new to solr