Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Daniel James <da...@pellucid.com> on 2014/12/05 17:44:07 UTC

Slide master and slide layout features for POI-XLSF

Hi All,

I’m hoping to get some feedback on developing some new features for
POI-XLSF related to slide master and slide layouts.

A former colleague of mine forked POI on GitHub and shoehorned in some
code to enable the manipulation of slide masters and slide layouts:
https://github.com/apache/poi/pull/9

We have been using this to generate PPTX documents. The maintenance of
this and the larger feature in our codebase has fallen to me. It seems
pretty clear that the branch is not in a fit state to merge.

What I’d like to do is first get the feedback of the project
maintainers on whether (new and improved) patches for these features
would in principle be welcome, and if so, some advice on how to go
about doing that. I’ve read the contribution guidelines
(http://poi.apache.org/guidelines.html), but any further direction
would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Slide master and slide layout features for POI-XLSF

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 5 Dec 2014, Daniel James wrote:
> I’m hoping to get some feedback on developing some new features for
> POI-XLSF related to slide master and slide layouts.

Right now, I don't think any of the committers are actively adding new
features to XSLF. All improvements are driven by community contributions.
If you think a new feature is worth adding, and you're willing to put the
effort in, we'll be glad of the additoon :)

> What I’d like to do is first get the feedback of the project
> maintainers on whether (new and improved) patches for these features
> would in principle be welcome, and if so, some advice on how to go
> about doing that. I’ve read the contribution guidelines
> (http://poi.apache.org/guidelines.html), but any further direction
> would be most welcome.

As Dominik mentioned, smaller patches are easier to review and apply than
large ones. Bugzilla entries are a little easier for us to keep track of
than github pull requests, but but we can work with github requests quite
happily too. Given that you have a large patchset in git, using github PRs
might be simplest, as you could polish off some work then raise a PR for
that bit, then work on the next area and raise a PR etc

Nick

Re: Slide master and slide layout features for POI-XLSF

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Patches that expand the functionality or improve support for features
are always welcome!

Naturally smaller patches are much easier to apply, so if you can
break things up into smaller, self-contained logical chunks, applying
becomes much easier.

Also make sure to keep the suite of unit tests succeed through any changes.

And a related bugzilla entry helps to keep things on the radar, as
github pull requests are not automatically mirrored in the
bug-tracking system.

Thanks... Dominik.