Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Max <na...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/01 15:52:32 UTC

A few questions about running ActiveMQ in production

These days I am looking for a queueing solution for our project.
ActiveMQ looks quite promising and offers all features I want from a
queue.

However, I have some questions (mostly regarding ActiveMQ in
production/deploying ActiveMQ) I couldnt answer myself by
reasearching.

Foremost I am unsure about whats the preferred way of
running/deploying ActiveMQ. Is it good enough to let it run as a UNIX
service? As we are already use Solr and have it running in a Tomcat
container, my preferred solution would be running ActiveMQ in Tomcat,
too. Do I sacrifice any features? Any performance hits? The (upcoming)
websocket support is quite important to me, so do websockets work with
Tomcat, too instead of jetty?

Thanks!

Re: A few questions about running ActiveMQ in production

Posted by Torsten Mielke <to...@fusesource.com>.
Hi,

> Foremost I am unsure about whats the preferred way of
> running/deploying ActiveMQ. Is it good enough to let it run as a UNIX
> service?

Yes, thats good enough and probably used most often.

You can embed ActiveMQ in other applications as well but please be aware that you tie the lifetime of your messaging infrastructure to the lifetime of that application that the broker runs in. Depending on your use case this may not be what you want.

Further depending on the message load you expect at runtime, you may need to tweak Tomcats JVM heap settings in order to avoid running into memory issues. Also, configuring the brokers <memoryUsage> should take into account that it may be running embedded in another application.

Performance wise there should generally not be an impact unless you need to configure for high speed and high throughput messaging, in which case I would suggest to run the broker standalone and performance tune it in isolation from other applications.

Hope this helps.

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com