Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/01 06:57:06 UTC

[excalibur] ResourceManager and Resources

Hi,

I have just been going through TODO list with ResourceManager and noticed a
request that I am not sure is a good idea or not. Currently the way it works
is you put something like

private final static Resources REZ =
   ResourceManager.getPackageResource( MyClass.class );

and then use it like

REZ.getString( "some.key", arg1, arg2, arg3 );

Some people requested that it also support use case where you place

private final static String RESOURCE_KEY =
    MyClass.class.getPackage().getName();

and then use it like

ResourceManager.getString( RESOURCE_KEY, "some.key", arg1, arg2, arg3 );

The only advantage I can see of second form is that you could more easily
support multiple keys from one class but as that is a rare occurence I am not
sure there is a need for it.

Anyone have any good reasons for one way or the other ? If not I will
probably allow access through both methods.

--
Cheers,

Pete