Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Michael Saunders <mi...@amtec.com> on 2000/07/26 17:46:28 UTC

JavaCC optional taskdef

There has been a lot of traffic but I haven't seen any responses to my previous
JavaCC question so I'll ask it again just in case it got lost in the fray.

The JavaCC optional task is misnamed as it is really covering the MParse tool.
The JavaCC tool is actually another product with a different set of options and
main class. I think ant is really cool and I am interested in its integrity. How
does one go about getting an optional task renamed and placed under a different
optional taskdef directory -perhaps metamata?. In addition, I would be happy to
write an optional taskdef for the real JavaCC tool and submit it via this
mailing list.

Committers, do you have any comments? How have you handled this problem in the
past? Should I address this some other way?

Michael

Re: JavaCC optional taskdef

Posted by Thomas Haas <th...@softwired-inc.com>.
Any renaming of the task is fine with me. I did not invest much time in
finding a good name. I apreciate the work is evolving into something really
usable and used.

- tom

Re: JavaCC optional taskdef

Posted by Roberto Lo Giacco <rl...@mail.com>.
Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
on 7/28/00 7:37 AM, Michael Saunders at michael@amtec.com wrote:

> My own personal opinion is that the current JavaCC taskdef should be
> renamed to mparse and moved into a metamata package and that a new
> taskdef JavaCC should be created and placed in the javacc package.

Sounds like a decent course of action.

.duncan

Re: JavaCC optional taskdef

Posted by Michael Saunders <mi...@amtec.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> ISTR you proposed "mparse" as a task name, is this an official product
> name?

Yes, my understanding is that JavaCC was owned by Sun and apparently
given to Metamata to distribute/manage. Metamata created yet another,
more advanced version of the parser that they have named "mparse".
They have other tools as well, some for sale some for free. Metamata
has indicated that they will keep JavaCC on their web site for
distribution but that they were going to support mparse and distribute
it for free.

> I wouldn't think too much of package names right now, this could be
> resolved rather easily once/if(?) the extension mechanism for optional
> tasks gets done.

My own personal opinion is that the current JavaCC taskdef should be
renamed to mparse and moved into a metamata package and that a new
taskdef JavaCC should be created and placed in the javacc package.

> I'm willing to rename the class - and the package if needed - if it
> really causes a problem. For example if a task for the real JavaCC is
> contributed 8^).

I'll start working on the JavaCC and JJTree Taskdefs for the
javacc package.

Thanks for the reply,
Michael

Re: JavaCC optional taskdef