Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com> on 2002/12/13 19:19:06 UTC

Doc Request

Would it be possible to mark the documentation at points with version
info?  I wasted a few hours the other day trying to get the
DirectoryGenerator to get exclusions and date formats working to no
avail.  After a while, I finally went into the source and saw that these
options weren't implemented in the release version;  They are only in
2.1/HEAD CVS.  There is nothing on the Cocoon homepage that mentions this.

If I didn't know Java, I wasn't comfortable with browsing source, source
wasn't available because someone else set up Cocoon for me, or didn't
look to see CVS HEAD, I'd be screwed.

I know there are other documentation issues, but most of them are
related to a lack of documentation.  Here the docs simply don't reflect
the current release.

Perhaps a version number in a top corner mentioning which release it
first appeared a la J2SE documentation?

- Miles

Re: Doc Request

Posted by Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> The documentation (both on the homepage of Cocoon and coming with the
> release) shell relate always to the latest release (at the moment
> 2.0.4). Otherwise it's a bug.

Then it's a bug.  I just checked the 2.0.4 release.  The docs specify
functionality which isn't there.

DirectoryGenerator (and the generators that extend from it) does not
support sorting or reversing in 2.0.4.  ProfileGenerator,
ErrorGenerator, LinkStatusGenerator, WebServiceProxyGenerator,
TextParserGenerator, SourceWritingTransformer, AugmentTransformer, and
TextParserTransformer do not exist in 2.0.4 contrary to the docs.

I wonder how many people tried using Cocoon, got stuck, assumed it was
an obscure configuration error on their part, and considered Cocoon
"buggy" to anyone who asked.  :(

I would file a bug, but I can't seem to access nagoya.apache.org

- Miles

Re: Doc Request

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
The documentation (both on the homepage of Cocoon and coming with the
release) shell relate always to the latest release (at the moment
2.0.4). Otherwise it's a bug.

Joerg