Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/06/16 10:55:49 UTC

Website updated

if you notice any anomalies then just shout out.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith

Re: Website updated

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Oh and another thing. I notice that cornerstone still has the .xinfo files
in CVS. However I think Paul got automagic generation of them going in main
build. If this is all 100% then we could delete the .xinfo (and the
cornerstone.mf manifest) from the CVS and have them generated during build
process.

At 01:28 PM 6/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> > >we've got a logo for avalon phoenix somewhere (think in
> > >jakarta-avalon/src/logo). Might be cool to use that instead?
> >
> > Sounds kool to me ;) One thing - we need to zap the "Avalon Referenice
> > Implementation" string. I don't have the editor you used. Would you be
> able
> > to zap that and then add it to phoenixs CVS ?
>
>on the list. If you have more requests -- got an entire afternoon to
>actually do some stuff (rather than just discuss it).
>
>will be back after lunch,
>
>- LSD
>

>--
>For additional commands, e-mail:
><ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Website updated

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 10:46 PM 6/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Anyway the problem will be solved with Centipede,

yea.

>since you can run Cocoon or Maven on the same docs, so nobody will complain.

Not running Maven (using Anakia instead). I just nabbed their stylesheets
because they worked without any hassles ;)

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Website updated

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Leo Simons wrote:
> >
> >> While you could disable docs; it'd be so much nicer if just
> >> all ran quickly =)
>
> Forget about what I wrote, I'm really not interested in starting a
> discussion on this.

me neither =)

> Anyway the problem will be solved with Centipede, since you can run
> Cocoon or Maven on the same docs, so nobody will complain.

totally convinced of that. Just waiting for Centipede to get there,
aren't we? BTW, there's no maven involved here, just their stylesheet.
We need to get the avalon skin anakia .vsl file working and then switch
to that (working on it).

- Leo

Re: Website updated

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> While you could disable docs; it'd be so much nicer if just
>> all ran quickly =)

Forget about what I wrote, I'm really not interested in starting a
discussion on this.

Anyway the problem will be solved with Centipede, since you can run
Cocoon or Maven on the same docs, so nobody will complain.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Website updated

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> If you have an XP style of programming, and you run Ant about every 20
> mins, it is really annoying if it also takes 20 mins for the ant run to
> complete. While you could disable docs; it'd be so much nicer if just
> all ran quickly =)

Ok, so I must assume that what Peter does is what we all should do?

> - Leo, broke his head today on figuring out why he gets a ZipException
> when running cocoon over a clean cornerstone checkout

Tell me is the current Avalon Framework docs run ok, *that* uses latest
Cocoon.

Anyway, I don't care if it's hacky Anakia for the docs or Cocoon, but
I'm disturbed by these repentine non-collective decisions on important
project aspects.

If we don't go the same way, we will get lost :-(

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Website updated

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > I just committed an cocoon2anakia.xsl sheet. I want to update the
> > cornerstone stuff to use anakia. Cocoon is beyond me atm and anakia
> > works and takes like 10 seconds ;)
> >
> > Actually I may add a simple ant script to help converting aswell. Run it
> > like
> > ant -f jakarta-avalon/tools/convert.xml
> > /opt/projects/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/bzip2/src/xdocs update
> >
> > Note I haven't really fully tested it ;)
> >
> > You will also have to update the book.xml to anakias project.xml and
> > maybe play around with some of docs to get URL resolution happening
> > properly.
>
> Just a reminder: I haven't forgotten my job of getting builds and
> doc generation uptodate for the Avalon projects, I'm still working on it.
>
> The Avalon framework doc generation is a first step, next is upgrade to
> Centipede build of Framework.
>
> I'm just curious: why does Phoenix have its own site skin?
> Why is it a problem if Cocoon is slower than Anakia? Haven't you heard
> of XML validating editors? :-P

'cause pete got sick of working with cocoon, basically. Can't really
blame him.

Re: Website updated

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> At 09:12 PM 6/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>> I'm just curious: why does Phoenix have its own site skin?
>

> Because I moved to anakia and couldn't figure out why some of the things
> ceased working and Paul said the traditional jakarta site skin was dull ;)

;-)

>> Why is it a problem if Cocoon is slower than Anakia?
>
> Because when editing docs or building distributions I waste more than
> haalf my time waiting for it to build.

Try using a validating editor instead of regenerating after editing,
it saves a lot of time.

This said, I know it's a problem for the Cocoon static site generation,
and we are thinking-discussing on how to make it faster (it's an
implementation thing, not architectural-conceptual).

Thank you Peter for your sooth answers, I honestly appreciate it :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Website updated

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 09:12 PM 6/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>Peter Donald wrote:
>>I just committed an cocoon2anakia.xsl sheet. I want to update the
>>cornerstone stuff to use anakia. Cocoon is beyond me atm and anakia works
>>and takes like 10 seconds ;)
>>Actually I may add a simple ant script to help converting aswell. Run it like
>>ant -f jakarta-avalon/tools/convert.xml
>>/opt/projects/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/bzip2/src/xdocs update
>>Note I haven't really fully tested it ;)
>>You will also have to update the book.xml to anakias project.xml and
>>maybe play around with some of docs to get URL resolution happening properly.
>
>Just a reminder: I haven't forgotten my job of getting builds and
>doc generation uptodate for the Avalon projects, I'm still working on it.

excellent.

Re: Website updated

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Website updated

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 01:28 PM 6/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> > >we've got a logo for avalon phoenix somewhere (think in
> > >jakarta-avalon/src/logo). Might be cool to use that instead?
> >
> > Sounds kool to me ;) One thing - we need to zap the "Avalon Referenice
> > Implementation" string. I don't have the editor you used. Would you be
> able
> > to zap that and then add it to phoenixs CVS ?
>
>on the list. If you have more requests -- got an entire afternoon to
>actually do some stuff (rather than just discuss it).

Theres always plenty to do. Something that may (or may not) interest you is
going through cornerstone and making sure it is ready for release. To do
this it would be good to brows the documentation and make sure it is all
a-okay and that everything is good codewise.

I just committed an cocoon2anakia.xsl sheet. I want to update the
cornerstone stuff to use anakia. Cocoon is beyond me atm and anakia works
and takes like 10 seconds ;)

Actually I may add a simple ant script to help converting aswell. Run it like
ant -f jakarta-avalon/tools/convert.xml
/opt/projects/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/bzip2/src/xdocs update

Note I haven't really fully tested it ;)

You will also have to update the book.xml to anakias project.xml and maybe
play around with some of docs to get URL resolution happening properly.

Also we should probably merge gen-blockinfo.xml ant script into main build.xml.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Website updated

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Re: Website updated

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
At 12:26 PM 6/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>=)
>
>we've got a logo for avalon phoenix somewhere (think in
>jakarta-avalon/src/logo). Might be cool to use that instead?

Sounds kool to me ;) One thing - we need to zap the "Avalon Referenice
Implementation" string. I don't have the editor you used. Would you be able
to zap that and then add it to phoenixs CVS ?

Or anyone else who wants to do it can! :)

Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Website updated

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.