Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/11/04 06:17:32 UTC

Geronimo Performance Report - Input Requested

All,

I've been spending some quality time with Geronimo over the past
couple of weeks gathering some performance data for 1.1.1.

I've posted a PDF that I'd like your input on in terms of content,
questions, etc.  I'd like to wrap this up quickly as I'd like to help
with 1.2 so your prompt reply is appreciated.  This is a rough draft
so there are spelling errors and such so your keen eye is welcome.  I
have some additional work to do this weekend to validate my
comparison metric.  Also, I need a better name than HPG (Hogstrom
Performance Goal).

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/Geronimo-1.1.1-Performance-Report.pdf

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Geronimo Performance Report - Input Requested

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
"Hogstrom Performance Goal" :)

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Very cool stuff...

What is an "HPG"?

Jeff

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
All,

A couple people have pinged me about a mis-statement on page 8 about
the equipment being loaned to the ASF.  That statement is incorrect.
The equipment was loaned to me to do performance work on Apache
Geronimo.  It is not on loan to the ASF and I will correct that
statement.  Thanks for those of you who were discreet in letting me
know about that faus paux.

Given the confusion about the Azul certification I want to make sure
things are correct.  I have updated my copy to remove the statement
altogether as what I intended to communicate was that I did this work
on my own and these are my opinions; your mileage may vary.

Thanks for catching this guys.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Matt,

I think this looks really good.  Excellent analysis and explanations.
Just a few comments:

-  Page numbers on each page would help with references ;-)
-  Diagram numbers would also be helpful
-  Would it be possible to get a brief (sentence or two) explanation of
each of the runtime parameters and the functions they execute at the
server?  I'm sure this is included in the daytrader doc but a brief
overview in this doc would help set the context.
-  Were the actual HPG targets specified someplace in the document that
I missed?  I see them in the graphics but it's kind of difficult to
"guess" the precise value from the graphic.
-  I presume PingServlet2Session is the same as 2SessionEJB in the graphic?
-  I presume PingServlet2EntityEJBRemote is the same as 2EntityRemote in
the graphic?
-  There were some parameters/results that I didn't see in the graphics
(I presume by design but I'm just checking) ...  PingServlet2Include,
PingServlet2JSP, PingHTTPSession2, PingHTTPSession3,
PingServlet2Session2Entity.   Since these weren't included in the
graphics we don't really know the target that you were measuring against
  (the HPG value).
-  typo - PingHHTPSession2 -> PingHTTPSession2

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Very nice!  Is this with jetty or tomcat?  When can we get a speed
comparison :-) ?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Lasantha Ranaweera <la...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Matt,

It looks great work !!!!

I want to add one question and few more suggestions.

Question:
What is the formula of HPG? Is it a secret one? :-)

Suggestions:
1. Better we have comparison between IBM and Sun JVMs in this performances.
2. As database could you please consider inbuilt Apache Derby too?
3. Since it shows better performance in web tier than EJB, can't we get
a HPG value comparison for light weight container stuff (Spring,
Hibernate) ?

I hope you will publish these values pretty soon in some popular web
sites ;-) .

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Looks good.  So this is just one vm and it scaled well to 4 cores?
Did scale linearly?  I'd love to see how 8 cores scale :)  One
coment, on page 8 you mention we don't support CORBA on 1.5, but you
don't mention that that is one features on the 1.2 list.

-dain