Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/19 15:45:49 UTC

Problems with release checking

It was quite tedious checking the 4.0.1 release because of spurious
variations between the tgz and zip archives.

Apart from the LF/CRLF line ending differences, which are easy to
allow for, there are quite a lot of files in the ZIP archive that have
an additional CRLF at the end. This can be fixed by adding

fixlast="false"

to the Ant script which repackages the zip file.

BTW, the Ant script is not suitable for use on Windows, because it
only fixes the zip file.
It ought to be changed to detect the EOL type and fix the appropriate archive.

The $HeadURL:$ SVN markers can cause problems when comparing the
source archive with the tag unless one uses the same URL as the
builder used.

HeadURL causes major problems when comparing SVN checkouts.
I think the markers should be removed (or disabled).

Similarly, the $Date:$ SVN marker causes problems when comparing
files, because the date is expressed as a local date. This can be
allowed for in automated comparisons, but is still a nuisance. IMO,
the benefits of having the Date outweigh the disadvantages. If one
really needs the date, then consider using $Id which uses UTC, for
example:

$Id: calc.c 148 2006-07-28 21:30:43Z sally $

Re: Problems with release checking

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:

>>  There appears to be some kind of issue with the latest maven bundle plugin
>> (don't we all love maven?). I raised a JIRA with Apache Felix [1] and
>> downgraded the plugin to previous stable version for the time being.
>>
>>  Please pull the latest snapshot and try again.
>
> That has fixed the problem with the bundle processing, but I still
> don't see the execution of build.xml.

The script does not execute automatically. It needs to be executed
manually by running mvn antrun:run

The complete maven command to build release assemblies should look like:

mvn javadoc:javadoc docbkx:generate-pdf docbkx:generate-html package
assembly:assembly antrun:run

Ain't maven fun?

Oleg

Re: Problems with release checking