Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Emma Sesmero <em...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/02 16:29:20 UTC

Re: Web management interface

I submitted my project proposal for James Administration Console in the
melange website.
Should I add something else or follow any other step?

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Emma Sesmero <em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As requested by Manolo, I am detailing the screens with the parameters that
> I was thinking to modify and a sitemap of each deliverable with the
> balsamiqqdrive tool, suggested by Echo. As soon as I finish it I will add
> the link to the proposal.
>
> Concerning the configuration, I am aware that most of the configuration
> requires restart the server, while managing users and domains do not. So I
> am separating them in two different menus in the sitemap.
>
> About the integration with Hupa, the idea is to be able to share the login
> page. After logging, the administrator would be redirected to the
> administration console application. So, there would not be any problem to
> run this application separately.

Why do you wish to share the login page? A login page is quite simple
to do so don't worry about that.

> But implementing this in GWT would allow to extending the code to create a
> version for the final user integrated with Hupa, being able to access the
> configuration panel to change password, create alias or change the offline
> message.

Managing user password and other _user_ related things are separate
from server administration and monitoring tasks.
The user related stuff need to be added to Hupa. The rest should be in
the management app.

> If there is any other thing you want me to detail or take into account,
> please, let me know.

I would love to see a bit of code to be able to evaluate your level.
Could you write a simple GWT application that reads JMX data from
James and publish it to a Git/SVN repo?
The code doesn't hafve to be perfect, just to work. I can give you a
hand/advices along the way if you get stuck.

Regards,

Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: Web management interface

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.
Emma your mocks for the app are quite good and well structured, I have to
take a deeply look though.

It makes perfectly sense to separate things which require to restart the
server.
It should be nice that James could reload configuration or even that we
could restart the server from the console, but IMO they are not in the
scope of this project, and it could be performed in a future. BTW It's nice
to see in your application that you wish to continue contributing after it.

Related with the integration with hupa, I think both should be different
apps and could be delivered and run in different deliverables. Because we
could have very different deployment situations like Hupa as an Imap client
of a non James imap server, or admin console running in a different server
than James, or even an admin console to manage multiple James instances.

But I also think that we should share the login page when we deliver all in
one, I mean an unique James executable including server, console and hupa.
This is a tendency in Enterprise apps and James is. Of course, a user could
not have access to certain things depending on its privileges, and after
the login we would redirect the user to the appropriate app.

Thanks
- Manolo

Posted by Emma Sesmero <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Thx Emma, makes sense.

Posted by Emma Sesmero <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Emma,

Posted by Echo <ec...@gmail.com>.
And this is another good candidate for designing:
https://balsamiqgdrive.appspot.com

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You could use a wireframe tool similar to [1]. Sketch it and attach
> the images to the proposal.
>
> [1] http://wireframe.cc/
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino
> <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi Emma, your proposal looks quite realistic, I would like a more
> detailed
> > info of the architecture, components and screens of the app tough.
> > It should help to both: to you so as you can have a better plan, and to
> us
> > to understand the project and follow the development (in the case it is
> > selected).
> >
> > Maybe you could draw some schemes and share them.
> >
> > Thanks
> > - Manolo
> >

> > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Emma Sesmero <em...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> My project proposal link for GSOC 2013 is:
> >>

> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/emma/10001
> >>
> >> If anyone has any suggestion, please, let me know.

> it
> >> the

> the

> so as